1. What is meant by diversity?
Diversity refers to the fact that we are all different. Even though people have many things in common diversity recognises that people also have a lot of differences. This can be differences in religion, age, gender, beliefs and many more things we come across in daily life.
2. Describe the community you live in. Highlight some of the variations you may observe in terms of: •
Personal, social and cultural identities.
In the community I live in there are lots of variations of people. Most of the people who live on my street have children but there is also a lesbian couple and an American family. There are a few married couples who live opposite me whereas my next door neighbour is a single parent and to the other side of me is a retired couple. At the bottom of my street there is a block of flats and a few bungalows where the elderly live and also a small block of houses designed for and designated to disabled people. Within the area I live there is a Christian church and also a congregation of Jehovah`s witnesses. There are 3 parks for children to play at along with a football pitch and a sure start children’s centre. There are local pubs, takeaways and shops all within walking distance as well as a swimming pool gym and beauty salon.
3. Explain how the variations in question 2 contribute to the diversity of the community.
The variations in question 2 show how the community is diverse. It shows how no 2 people are the same weather it’s their sexuality, social class, age, religion or interests. The variations in question 2 contribute to diversity by everyone having different lifestyles, beliefs, even by having different ages.
4. Give some examples to explain how diversity:
Enhances your life
Enhances the local community
Enhances this country.
Diversity can enhance your life by learning new skills from people for different backgrounds or with different strengths as well as a variety of other things. For example ways to cook food which is from a different culture other than your own, knowledge about a religion or sexuality that you had not previously known. The local community is enhanced by diversity as it allows people to change their attitudes towards themselves and people they see as different to them. People living in a diverse community may be more tolerant and accepting towards other people that are diverse to themselves. Diversity enhances the county in many different ways. Some of the main ways is because people or their families before them originated in a different country so they may then believe in different things and have different cultures. For example the food they eat, the lifestyle they have and even the types of clothes they wear. This means there is more choice and variety around leaving people to become their own individual.
5. Describe what it means to respect people’s differences and why it is important to respect differences. To respect people’s differences you must be accepting and understand that people have their own opinions and ways of doing things. Just because someone believes something different to you does not mean it is wrong. Everyone has the right to their own opinion and lifestyle. It is important to respect peoples differences weather it’s the way the look, religion or just have a different culture otherwise this may result in discrimination which can cause upset and distress. Just because we don’t agree with a choice someone has made or what they choose to do does not mean we should try and take it away from them.
6. For a person you know, describe the individual factors that make him / her who they are.
Shane has big brown eyes and small dimples when he smiles. He has very long...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document