Biological Psychology: The study of the cells and organs of the body + the phys/chem changes in behavior + mental processes.
• Behaviours and mental processes influenced by biology, biological processes by environment as well
Nervous system : Complex combination of cells that mainly function to let an organism gain information about what is going on inside/outside body and how to respond to it.
Three functions of the nervous system:
• receive information; input
• integrate information with past experiences; processing
• Guide actions; output.
Brain can adjust the impact of incoming information (can’t tickle oneself)
Brain cells communicate by chemicals signals released by other cells.
Made of separate cells
Neurons: cells that are specialized to quickly respond to signals and to quickly send signals of their own
• have outer membrane
• cell body -> contains nucleus
• mitochondria -> turn oxygen and glucose into energy
Glial cells: help neurons communicate by directing their growth, stable chemical environment providing energy, help restore damage + hold neurons together.
• Synthesize similar proteins as bacteria
Neuron communicate efficiently because ->
• structure –long thin fibers that extend outer ward of cell body; intermixing allows neurons to be close to many other neurons.
2 types of fibers –
Axons: fibers that carry signals away from the cell body, out to where communicate occur with other neurons.
Dendrites: fibers that receive signals from the axons of other neurons and carry them down the cell body.
Synapse: gap between neurons where they communicate
• Nerve cell membrane is semipermeable (allows some things to pass)
• Inside of membrane is normally slightly negative as positive charged molecules are often pumped out through the membrane [Polarized state of cell membrane]
Negative-positive attraction leads to electrochemical potential... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2013, 01). The Biological Aspects of Psychology. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 01, 2013, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/The-Biological-Aspects-Of-Psychology-1339122.html
"The Biological Aspects of Psychology" StudyMode.com. 01 2013. 2013. 01 2013 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/The-Biological-Aspects-Of-Psychology-1339122.html>.
- MLA 7
"The Biological Aspects of Psychology." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 01 2013. Web. 01 2013. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/The-Biological-Aspects-Of-Psychology-1339122.html>.
"The Biological Aspects of Psychology." StudyMode.com. 01, 2013. Accessed 01, 2013. http://www.studymode.com/essays/The-Biological-Aspects-Of-Psychology-1339122.html.