Bad thingS about TV
Increased aggressive behaviour
This can be especially true of young children, who are more likely to exhibit aggressive behaviour after viewing violent TV shows or movies --Effects on healthy child development
--Getting too fat
--TV is full of programs and commercials that depict risky behaviors such as sex and substance abuse as cool, fun, and exciting. And often, there's no discussion about the consequences of drinking alcohol, doing drugs, smoking cigarettes, and having premarital sex. --Bad results
--Bad relationship with family and friends
Good Things About Television
Television offers lots of benefits to kids, including:
• Because of its ability to create powerful touchstones, TV enables young people to share cultural experiences with others.
• Shared viewing gives family members of all ages an opportunity to spend time together.
• Parents can use TV as a catalyst to get kids reading—following up on TV programs by getting books on the same subjects or reading authors whose work was adapted for the programs.
• Great television can teach kids important values and life lessons.
• TV programs often explores controversial or sensitive issues, which can make it easier for parents and kids to discuss them.
• Educational programming can develop young children's socialization and learning skills.
• News, current events and historical programming can help make young people more aware of other cultures and people.
• Documentaries can help develop critical thinking about society and the world.
• TV can help introduce your family to classic Hollywood films and foreign movies that may not be available in your local video store.
• Cultural programming can open up the world of music and art for young people