Preethika Devi.K,Monica S Dept of Computer Science, College Of Engineering,Guindy
This paper presents the results derived from our survey on metrics used in object–oriented environments. Our survey includes a small set of the most well known and commonly applied traditional software metrics which could be applied to object–oriented programming and a set of object–oriented metrics (i.e. those designed specifically for object–oriented programming). Given the central role that software development plays in the delivery and application of information technology, managers are increasingly focusing on process improvement in the software development area. This demand has spurred the provision of a number of new and/or improved approaches to software development, with perhaps the most prominent being object-orientation (OO). In addition, the focus on process improvement has increased the demand for software measures, or metrics with which to manage the process. The need for such metrics is particularly acute when an organization is adopting a new technology for which established practices have yet to be developed. It is a measure of some property of a piece of software or its specifications. Since quantitative measurements are essential in all sciences, there is a continuous effort by theoreticians to bring similar approaches to software development. The goal is obtaining objective, reproducible and quantifiable measurements, which may have numerous valuable applications in schedule and budget planning, cost estimation, quality assurance testing, software debugging, software performance optimization, and optimal personnel task assignments.
Object Oriented, Design, Inheritance, Metric, Measure, Coupling, Cohesion , Test metrics, Size estimation, Effort estimation, Test effectiveness evaluation.
Object-Oriented Analysis and Design of software provide many benefits such as reusability, decomposition of problem into easily understood object and the aiding of future modifications. But the OOAD software development life cycle is not easier than the typical procedural approach. Therefore, it is necessary to provide dependable guidelines that one may follow to help ensure good OO programming practices and write reliable code. Object-Oriented programming metrics is an aspect to be considered. Metrics to be a set of standards against which one can measure the effectiveness of Object-Oriented Analysis techniques in the design of a system.
Five characteristics of Object Oriented Metrics are as following: * Localization operations used in many classes
* Encapsulation metrics for classes, not modules
* Information Hiding should be measured & improved
* Inheritance adds complexity, should be measured
* Object Abstraction metrics represent level of abstraction Software metrics are used to evaluate the software development process and the quality of the resulting product. Software metrics aid evaluation of the testing process and the software product by providing objective criterion and measurements for management decision making. Their association with early detections and correction of problems make them important in software. Software metrics are all about measurements which, in turn, involve numbers, the use of numbers to make things better, to improve the process of developing software and to improve all aspects of the management of that process. Importance of Metrics
* Metrics is used to improve the quality and productivity of products and services thus...