Faculty of Business and Law
Module Code: HRM325
Module Title: Strategic Management of Human Resources
Date: October 2012
Time: [UK time]
Duration: 3 Hours
Section A:Answer FOUR out of six questions (40 marks) – ONE HOUR
Section B:Answer TWO questions from four - essay and report questions - (60 marks) - TWO HOURS
You should be careful to plan the use of your time as outlined above.
This is an open book examination. As such you may take into the exam, up to ten sheets (therefore twenty sides – double sided) of A4 white paper with handwritten (or typed in font size 8) notes.
You are allowed a translation dictionary.
The invigilators will be requested to confiscate any sheets taken into the exam above this number and the attempt to use additional materials will deemed an infringement of the examination regulation.
THE UNIVERSITY’S REGULATIONS CONCERNING CHEATING, COLLUSION AND PLAGIARISM APPLY TO THIS EXAMINATION
Section A Answer FOUR questions – Each question is worth 10 marks
1. Critically assess the strengths and weaknesses of ‘best practice’ models of HRM strategy?
2. Outline and discuss the main obstacles hindering or preventing HR departments from delivering strategic HRM
3. What should organisations consider when developing a reward strategy?
4. How can recruitment and selection processes contribute to strategic HRM?
5. Discuss the main features of a Learning Organisation. Why is it important in a strategic HRD approach to organising development?
6. Which mechanisms of employee involvement would you recommend using as part of your employee relations strategy and why?
You should allow no more than 15 minutes to answer each of these questions
Section B Answer two questions – Section B is worth 60 marks (30 marks for each question)
Critically evaluate the role that performance management systems play...