* Scientific notation is a way of writing very large and very small numbers in a compact form. * A number written in scientific notation is written in the form: a x 10b
WRITING A NUMBER IN SCIENTIFIC NOTATION
* Shift the decimal point so that there is one digit before the decimal point. * Multiply by a power of 10, equal to the number of places the decimal point has been moved. * The power of 10 is positive if the decimal point is moved to the left and negative if the decimal point is moved to the right.
* Engineering notation is similar to the scientific notation. In engineering notation the po0wers of ten are always multiples of 3. * A number written in engineering notation is written in the form: a x 10b
Where: a is a number greater than 1 and less than 999
B is an integer multiple of three
WRITING A NUMBER IN ENGINEERING NOTATION
* Shift the decimal point in “gropus of three” until the number before the decimal point is betqween 0 and 99. * Multiply by a power of 10 that is equal to the number of places the decimal point has been moved. * The power of 10 is positive if the decimal poiint is moved to the left and negative if the decimal point is moved to the right.
* SIprefixes are shorthand way of writing enineering notation for si numbers.
COMMON ELECTRONIC SYMBOL & UNITS
| Volt (V)
| Ohm ( Ω)
| Farad ( F)
| Henry (H)
| Watt ( W)
Please join StudyMode to read the full document