* Maestro Celestino was Jose’s first private tutor.
* Maestro Lucas Padua was the second private tutor.
* Maestro Leon Monroy became the hero’s tutor in Spanish and Latin. He was a classmate of Don Francisco. The Uncles of Rizal
* Uncle Jose Alberto – gave wise direction in the studies of Jose. * Uncle Gregorio – instilled into the mind of Jose the Jose Alberto love for education. * “Work hard and perform every task very carefully; learn to be swift as well as thorough; be independent in thinking; and make visual pictures of everything.” – Uncle Gregorio * Uncle Manuel Alberto – seeing Jose was frail in nature, concerned himself with the physical development of his nephew. * He also taught Jose the love for open air and admiration for the beauty of nature. Jose Goes to Biñan
* Don Leon died five months later and Jose was sent to a private school in Biñan. * June 1869 – Jose goes to Biñan with Paciano.
* Carromata – the mode of transportation
* Aunt’s house – where Jose lodged
First Day in School
* Maestro Justiniano Aquino Cruz – formal teacher.
* Rizal described Maestro Justiniano as tall, thin, long- necked, sharp-nosed, with a body slightly bent forward. * The school was in Maestro Justiniano’s house
First School Brawl
* Pedro –the bully (the teacher’s son) – wrestling
* Andres Salandanan – arm wrestling
Painting Lessons in Biñan
* Old Juancho – freely gave Jose painting lessons.
* Jose Rizal and his classmate Jose Guevarra became apprentices of Old Juancho Daily Life in Biñan: Jose’s daily routine
* Hears mass at 4 a.m. or studies lesson before going to mass. * Goes to orchard to look for mabolo to eat.
* Breakfast. Goes to class at 10 a.m.
* Lunch break
* Goes back to school at 2 p.m.
* Goes home at 5 p.m.
* Prays with cousins.
* Studies lessons, then draws a little.
* Eat supper.
* Pray again.
* Play in the street if moon is bright.
Best Student in School
* Jose surpassed his classmates in Spanish, Latin and other subjects. * His older classmates were jealous and squealed to the teacher whenever he had fights. * Jose usually received five or six blows while laid out on a bench End of Biñan Schooling
* December 17, 1870 – Jose left Biñan.
* Talim – the steamer that Jose rode.
* Arturo Camps – a Frenchman and a friend of Don Francisco, he took care of Jose during the trip. Injustice to the Hero’s Mother
* n 1872, Doña Teodora was arrested on a malicious charge that she aided his brother Jose Alberto in trying to poison his wife. * Jose Alberto planned to divorce his wife because of her infidelity. * Jose Alberto’s wife connived with the Spanish lieutenant of the Guardia Civil and filed a case against Rizal’s mother. * Antonio Vivencio del Rosario – gobernadorcillo of Calamba, helped the lieutenant arrest Doña Teodora * 50 kilometers – Doña Teodora was made to walk from Calamba to the provincial prison in Santa Cruz. * Don Francisco de Marcaida & Don Manuel Mazano – most famous lawyers of Manila, defended Doña Teodora in court. * After 2 ½ years – the Royal Audiencia acquitted Doña Teodora. * 50 kilometers – Doña Teodora was made to walk from Calamba to the provincial prison in Santa Cruz. * Don Francisco de Marcaida & Don Manuel Mazano – most famous lawyers of Manila, defended Doña Teodora in court. * After 2 ½ years – the Royal Audiencia acquitted Doña Teodora. * Ateneo
* June 10, 1872, Jose accompanied by Paciano went to Manila and took the entrance examination at the College of San Juan de Letran managed by the Dominicans. *...