PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION ( CODE NO. 18)
PAPER – I
PART - I
1. Meaning, Scope and Significance of Public Administration, Public and Private administration, Wilson's vision of Public administrations, Evolution of the discipline and its present status.
2. New Public Administration concept of New Public Management, Good Governance, Concept and application, Ethics and
3. Scientific Management - (Taylor and the Scientific management movement) Classical Theory (Fayol, Urwick, Gulick and others) Bureaucrative Theory (Marxist view, Weber's model and its
critique) Post Weberian developments.
4. Behavioural approach to Organizational Analysis, Participative Management (Mc Gregor, Likert and Others) The Systems
Approach, Open and Closed systems, Structural Functional
Approach and Marxist Approach.
5. Hierarcy, Span of Control, Unity of command, Line and Staff agencies.
6. Formal and Informal Organization, Centralization and
Decentralization, Departments, Boards and Commissions, Public Corporation and Independent Regulatory Commission.
7. Decision making theory with special reference to Herbett Simon, Theories of Leadership, Communication, Morale, Motivation
(Maslow and Herzberg).
8. Concepts of Accountability and Control, Legislative Executive and Judicial control over Administration.
9. Citizen and Administration, People's participation, Right to Information Act 2005, Administrative Corruption, Machinery for redressal of Citizen's grievances, Citizens Charter.
10. Meaning and significance of Delegated Legislation, Types, advantages, limitations, Safeguards, Administrative Tribunals, Llimitations and Methods of ensuring effectiveness.
PART - II
1. Meaning of Administrative Reforms. Process and obstacles
Techniques of administrative reforms, O & M, Information
2. Management-meaning, Nature and significance, Tasks of
management, POSDCORB. M.B.O. Tools of management and
Test of Good Management.
3. Meaning, nature and scope of Comparative Public Administrtion, Bureaucracy and Ecology.
4. Origin and purpose of Development Administration, Rigg's
Prasmatic - Sala model, Bureaucracy and Development,
Changing profile of Development Administration.
5. Concepts of Leadership, Authority and Influence, Chief Executive and its role in Organisation. Concept of Bureaucracy, Weberian model and its relevance, Recruitment, Training, Promotion,
Employer - Employee relations.
6. Grievances redressal mechanism, Integrity and Code of Conduct, Ombudsman, Lokpal and Lokayukta, Central Vigilance
7. Relevance of Policy making in Public Administration, Process of Policy formulation, Problems of implementation, Feedback and Evaluation.
8. Concept and significance of Financial Administration, Budget process and its role, Performance budgeting, Zero based Budget, Public debt.
9. Legislative Control - Public Account Committee., Estimate Committee, Public Undertaking Committee, Audit and Accounts, Comptroller and Auditor General of India.
10. Role of Computers in Public Administration, E governance. PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION (CODE NO. 18)
PAPER – II
PART - I
Central, State and Local Administration India
1. Evolution of Indian Administration, Kautilya, Mughal period and British Legacy.
2. Indian Constitution, Development, Preamble and Main
Characteristics, Parliamentary Democracy, Federal System and Centre - State Relations.
3. The President, Prime Minister, Council of Ministers, Cabinet and its Committees, P.M.O. Central Secretariat, Ministries and
4. Advisory Bodies, Boards and Commission, National Human
Rights Commission, UPSC, National Women Commission,
Election Commission and Finance Commission.
5. Administrative Reforms, Reforms since independence, Reports of the Administrative reforms Commissions, Problems of their
6. Machinery of Planning, Composition and role, Planning
Commission, Role of the National Development...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document