PM 401 – Project management
March 5, 2012
1. Determine bread-and-butter, pearls, oysters and white elephants projects. (15%)
Developing project portfolio matrix is the most important part of creating a project. Fours quadrants determine the matrix - Bread-and-butter, pearls, oysters and white elephants. Bread-and-butters project means evolutionary improvements to current products and service and it is low risk project with law reward. Pearls involve revolutionary commercial advances using proven technical advances. Oysters entail technological advance with high commercial payoffs. A white elephant project is that at one time showed promise but is not longer viable. 2. What do you know about the project indirect and direct costs? Prepare a cost-duration graph (15%) Project indirect cost represents overhead cost. Indirect cost varies directly in time. For instance, if our daily overhead cost is 250 euro, any reduction in project duration has to represent a saving of 250 euro per day. Project direct cost is clearly charged to a specific work package such as labor, materials and equipments. In order to create a cost-duration graph we have to apply three major steps: 1. Find total costs for selected project duration.
2. Find indirect cost
3. Calculate direct and indirect cost for these selected durations.
3. Which are the nine traits/ skills associated with being an effective project manager? (20%)
4. Answer the following multiple choice questions (50%)
Multiple choice questions
1. Which of the following is used a Hewlett- Packard for building relationships with key players that will determine a project’s success?
2. In the Research Highlight, Ancona and Caldwell identified key patterns of activity which contribute to creating a high performance team. Which of the following is not one of those?