NAME Kali Rothfuss
LAB DATE/TIME 6/22/11
Positive and Negative Controls
1. Why are there a number of washing steps in serological tests?
The are a number of steps needed in order to remove any non specific binding that may have occurred.
2. Describe how you would know that you had a “false positive” result. What does this mean for the rest of your results?
A positive result with a negative control indicates a “false positive” and your results are invalidated.
3. Describe how you would know that you had a “false negative” result. What does this mean for the rest of your results?
A negative results with a positive control indicates a “false negative” and your results are invalidated.
Direct Fluorescent Antibody Technique
4. Why is this technique a direct method?
It is considered a direct method because it involves conjugation of an antibody with fluorescent dye.
5. What is an elementary body?
An elementary body is an infectious particle of any of several microorganisms.
6. How do elementary bodies look under the fluorescent microscope?
Elementary bodies look red, no defined & varied shape with a darker spot on them and some had green spots or blotches on them.
7. What do you think would happen if you did not fix the sample to the slide with 95% ethyl alcohol?
Since ethyl alcohol’s function is to fix the specimen to the slide, I would say the
specimen would be washed away during the preparation of the slide if ethyl alcohol
was not used.
8. Which patient(s) tested positive for Chlamydia?
Patient 2 & patient 4
9. Was there any nonspecific binding for any of the samples? Explain.
Patient 3 had just a tiny bit of green on it which made me think there was
nonspecific binding because there were only two so its not negative or positive but
in my opinion human error.
10. What is a precipitin line?
A precipitin... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2011, 07). Physioex 12 Answers. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 07, 2011, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Physioex-12-Answers-736244.html
"Physioex 12 Answers" StudyMode.com. 07 2011. 2011. 07 2011 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Physioex-12-Answers-736244.html>.
- MLA 7
"Physioex 12 Answers." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 07 2011. Web. 07 2011. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Physioex-12-Answers-736244.html>.
"Physioex 12 Answers." StudyMode.com. 07, 2011. Accessed 07, 2011. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Physioex-12-Answers-736244.html.