REPORT FOR EXPERIMENT 1
Name: Tien Pham
Class number 35818
Instructor: Dilipkumar Mehta
The purpose of the experiment is to determine the diameters and lengths of the three metal cylinders and the copper wire, the mass of the metal cylinders and calculate the densities of the cylinders and comparison with the acceptable values.
1. Triple- beam balance
3. A ruler (inches and centimeters)
4. A roll of copper wire
5. Wire Cutter
6. Vernier Caliper
7. Electronic balance (to measure mass of copper wire)
8. Graduated Cylinder
9. Three cylindrical metals (brass, aluminum, copper, zinc, etc) 10. Irregular object (lead, steel, zinc, etc)
Density is one of the useful quantities scientists use to identify different materials with, given by: Density = Mass/Volume
The volume of a cylinder is: V = πr2h To find the volume of an irregular solid, we submerge it in a graduated cylinder and measure the volume of water it displaces.
1) Determine the mass of each cylinder, the copper wire and the irregular solid.
2) Determine the zero reading of the vernier caliper. This is when the jaws are in contact with each other. Record the values in centimeters. Make sure to open and close the jaws before each measurement.
3) Measure the length and diameter of each cylinder with the vernier caliper. Record them in centimeters to two decimal places.
4) Measure the length of the copper wire with the metric ruler
5) Determine the zero reading of the micrometer by allowing the anvil and the screw to approach each other very slowly. Record the values in centimeters. Make sure to open and close the micrometer before each measurement.
6) Measure the diameter of the wire with the micrometer by gripping the wire between the anvil and the screw. Try to change the location of the measurement on the wire in order to get different diameters.
7) Determine the volume of the irregular solid by submerging it in a graduated cylinder and measuring the volume of the liquid that is displaced.
Part I. Length and Diameter of Metal Cylinders with Vernier Caliper
| | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Average | |Zero reading |0 |0 |0 |0 |0 | |Length of Aluminum cylinder |5.09 |5.08 |4.97 |5.09 |5.05 | |Length of Brass cylinder |4.99 |5.00 |4.99 |5.01 |4.99 | |Length of copper cylinder |2.25 |2.23 |2.27 |2.22 |2.24 | |Diameter of Aluminum cylinder |1.32 |1.36 |1.27 |1.32 |1.32 | |Diameter of Brass cylinder |1.26 |1.24 |1.29 |1.28 |1.27 | |Diameter of copper cylinder |1.36 |1.35 |1.35 |1.37 |1.36 | |Length of copper wire with |100 |100 |100 |100 |100 | |metric ruler | | | |...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document