* Canadians volunteered to join the war because they believed it would be over by Christmas. Others joined because they were unemployed and the war would bring them out of hardships. Women were considered too frail. Women worked as nurses and ambulance drivers. Canadian officials did not accept aboriginal people and were reluctant to take African and Japanese. * Sam Hughes was appointed as the Minister of Militia. The army formed by the Canadians was called CANADIAN EXPEDITIONARY FORCE (CEF).Sam Hughes was also in charge of the Canada’s armament industry. He created the shell committee to oversee the manufacture of shells. Troops were often supplied with poor quality equipment. By the mid-1915 $170 million worth of contracts were signed but only $5.5 million were made. Some of the shells were of such bad quality that they exploded in the barrel. Boots were made up of cardboard soles. Hughes was dismissed from his post in 1916. * WAR MEASURES ACT -1914- Gave the government the authority to do everything necessary for the security, defence, peace order and welfare of Canada. The federal government could intervene directly in the economy to control transportation, manufacturing etc. It could censor mail.it suspended habeas corpus. Enemy aliens are sent to internment camps.
Major Canadian Battles
* The Second Battle of Ypres
* APRIL 22,1915
* FRENCH AND CANADIAN WERE BLINDED BY CHLORINE GAS
* POEM"IN FLANDERS FIELD"
* 6000 CANADIANS DIED
* WAR IN BELGIUM
* The Battle of Somme
* JULY 1916
* FAILED----THE ALLIES ATTACKED DAYS BEFORE AND DID NOT DESTROY ANYTHING * FAILED----TROOPS WERE ORDERED TO GO ACROSS THE FIELDS
* FAILED-EVEN AFTER LOSSES THE ATTACK CONTINUED
THE BATTLE OF VIMY RIDGE
* April 9,1917
* IN 1914 GERMANS TOOK CONTROL OF THE VIMY RIDGE
* ALLIES TRIED TO TAKE IT BACK BUT FAILED
* LIEUTENANT-GENERAL JULIAN BYNG
* ALLIES-APRIL 10 CAPTURED HILL...