1. Describe some of the influence of Latin music in the US in the early part of the twentieth century.
• Latin music in the U.S. has given rise to new styles of music, such as Reggaeton and Latin Jazz. This has created a cultural infusion and melting pot within America.
2. What was the significance of "Machito and His Afro-Cubans"?
• The significance of “Machito and His Afro-Cubans” was that this was the first time Africa was acknowledged publicly. The band also defined Afro-Cuban Jazz and its height to popularity.
3. How did Dizzy Gillespie incorporate Latin music into his music?
• Dizzy Gillespie, a jazz musician and founder of Bebop, thought the rhythm of jazz was boring and wanted something new and fresh. He incorporated Latin music into his music by getting Chano Pozo to play the conga, a Latin drum, at one of his concerts in 1947 at Carnegie Hall. Dizzy was pleased with the new sound of his band and asked Chano to stay with the band. Chano introduced to Dizzy, Manteca and this infusion revolutionized Latin Jazz.
4. What was the Palladium?
• The Palladium, once a dance studio, was a ballroom in Midtown Manhattan, Home of the Mambo. The Palladium attracted people of all backgrounds, race, and color. The one thing that united them was their passion to dance.
5. How did the television and films increase the exposure of the US to Latin music?
• Television and films allowed for Latin music to reach a broader and newer audience.
6. How did Latin music influence rock music?
• Latin music influenced rock music through exposure to Latin music and its popularity during the 50’s. There is Latin influence in the rhythm of rock music. There was a huge Latin influence on rock music because musicians incorporated familiar music of their day-to-day life, Latin.... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2013, 02). Music Appreciation Mod.1 Lab Questions. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 02, 2013, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Music-Appreciation-Mod-1-Lab-Questions-1448288.html
"Music Appreciation Mod.1 Lab Questions" StudyMode.com. 02 2013. 2013. 02 2013 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Music-Appreciation-Mod-1-Lab-Questions-1448288.html>.
- MLA 7
"Music Appreciation Mod.1 Lab Questions." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 02 2013. Web. 02 2013. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Music-Appreciation-Mod-1-Lab-Questions-1448288.html>.
"Music Appreciation Mod.1 Lab Questions." StudyMode.com. 02, 2013. Accessed 02, 2013. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Music-Appreciation-Mod-1-Lab-Questions-1448288.html.