Marlee Matlin is a famous actress who is deaf since she was 18 months old. Marlee has a deformed cochlea, which is genetic. This also means she had a good change that she could not hear when she was born, instead her hearing got worst over the first year of her life. Marlee’s deafness has not stopped her from doing the things she loves. “I have always resisted putting limitations on myself, both professionally and personally.” The first time Marlee was noticed was in the play “Children of Lesser a God.” Marlee got many awards, but she is the only deaf actress to win an Academy Award. She is on the show currently on the show switched at brith. She has also written three books about her life and how it was like growing up being the only one deaf in her family and around her friends.
10 interesting facts
1) Marlee is the only one deaf in her family
2) None of her four kids are deaf
3) Marlee Lost all hearing in right ear and 80% in her left ear (not even the best of all hearing aids help to hear better out of her left ear) 4) She can read lips
5) She can speak
6) She did not expected her deafness until about 2002
7) Her parents did not send her to a school for the deaf. She went to public school 8) She started out wanted to do things in criminal justice (she didn’t think there was enough criminals to keep her working) 9) A friend told her she should audition for the play “Children of a lesser God” 10) she is on of the few chosen to win best acting Oscar (debut performance)