I chose the Road Not Taken written by Robert Frost.
I chose the poem An Old Man’s Winter Night
* The poem is written in third person point of view, the narrator is omniscient. * In this poem Frost illustrates the troubled life of an old man who’s memory is slowly fading away. * Throughout the poem Frost uses various literary devices to emphasize the idea that the old man is secluded from everyone. * The poem is written in one stanza following a fixed meter and an irregular rhyming scheme – Frost’s style. * The author uses personification, imagery, to describe the old man’s emotions
Personification – The author uses personification throughout the poem one of its use is to emphasize the loneliness of the old man. * ‘He consigned to the moon such as she was’ Line 18
* ‘All out of doors looked darkly in at him’ Line 1
* No human interaction
* Metaphorical meaning: He is so alone, no human interaction so objects … become alive to replace human company. * Never talking about other people, specifically about the old man only and the other objects around. * Emphasizing the loneliness.
Personification II – Through the poem the author uses personification to highlight the idea that the old man is aggravated and angry. * And having scared the cellar under him. Line 9
* In clomping there, he scared it once again. Line 10
* In clomping off – and scared the outer night. Line 11 * Outer night = darkness, darkness = fear.
* Things that now usually scare others are now common, stressing the idea that he is so angry and the noises he makes are so loud that everything around him is scared of him. – Showing his anger.
Auditory Imagery- Through auditory imagery the author accentuates the idea that the old man is aggravated. * Which has its sounds, familiar, like the roar Of trees and crack of branches, common things, But Nothing so like beating on a box. Lines 12-13-14 * Stress the...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document