Informative Speech Outline
I. What are puppy mills?
A. aka “puppy farm”
B. breeding factory for dogs
C. moms breed until they are too weak or until they die
1. Overcrowded in old farms, shed, or chicken coop
2. wired, unsanitary cages to minimize waste cleaning (in winter and summer)
3. food infested with maggots and water is green with algae
4. underfed malnourished – leads to puppies eating one another
5. never let out to play, develop leg problems
6. video – end at :55
E. Sold to pet stores
1. “lucky puppies” loaded into a truck, many don’t make it
2. develop diseases – epilepsy, heart disease, kidney disease, blood disorders, eye problems, musculoskeletal disease
3. sometimes develop socialization problems due to lack of affection and being taken away from their mothers
B. sick when we got him
C. leg problems/present day leg problems
D. could have saved a lot of money
III. Why aren’t they outlawed?
A. animal cruelty is illegal, puppy mills are not
B. many puppy mills are licensed by the USDA
C. the Animal Welfare Act (AWA) – defines minimum requirement standard care for dogs
D. standard is far from what people consider humane
E. many puppy mills are on illegal and on private property
F. there are many puppy mill rescues that go to shelters (Chrystal & Anti-Cruelty Society)
IV. How to stop puppy mills
A. don’t buy puppies or products from pet stores
B. don’t buy online
C. buy from breeders
1. look for reputable breeders
2. can show you legitimate background information on the puppies
"Puppy Mill Awareness Day." Puppy Mill Awareness Day. N.p., n.d. Web. 20 Sept. 2012. .
"Puppy Mills : The Humane... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2013, 04). Lkjgf. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 04, 2013, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Lkjgf-1628944.html
"Lkjgf" StudyMode.com. 04 2013. 2013. 04 2013 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Lkjgf-1628944.html>.
- MLA 7
"Lkjgf." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 04 2013. Web. 04 2013. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Lkjgf-1628944.html>.
"Lkjgf." StudyMode.com. 04, 2013. Accessed 04, 2013. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Lkjgf-1628944.html.