1.1explain the functions of assessment in learning and development Determining level of knowledge & understanding
• Ensuring that learning is taking place
• Checking progress
• Adhering to course criteria
1.2define the key concepts and principles of assessment
1. Explain the functions of assessment in learning and development.
Assessment is carried out to evaluate that learning has taken place. It measures the learner’s attainment of knowledge and skills in their particular learning area. Assessment encourages learners to ask questions on anything they have not fully understood, as learners know that they will have to prove their knowledge and understanding during assessment to the standards of the awarding body.
The anticipated outcome of assessment is that the learner will complete assessment to City and Guild standards within the time frame stated, with no assistance and show through answering questions that they have full understanding of the subject.
2. Define the key concepts and principles of assessment.
Assessment has to remain fair, consistent and valid to ensure all learners have an equal and fair chance of receiving a fair assessment. An assessor cannot be swayed
1.3 explain the responsibilities of the assessor
The role of the assessor is to assess the learner’s knowledge and performance in a range of tasks. This includes,
▪ Ensuring that the learner has demonstrated competence and knowledge in the assessment to the standard of City and Guilds criteria.
▪ Assessments need to be planned between the assessor and each learner; the learner needs to be fully aware of his/her responsibilities in the collection and presentation of evidence.
▪ The assessor then needs to observe the learners performance in their workplace or similar environment and can ask questions to confirm a learners understanding.
▪ Accurate and...