GRANDS TEXTES DE LA LITTERATURE ANGLOPHONE I
(GTLA I) A1 B 20 / D1 B 20 (Code ENEAD)
Author of Presentation: Justine Duhamel & Marie de La Ruffie Email: Justine.email@example.com & firstname.lastname@example.org
Title of the Excerpt: Pride and Prejudice
Author: Jane Austen
Year of appearance: 1813 ( year of publication)
Textual Analysis: (general)
• Historical Background: 18th century (period when Jane Austen lived: 1775- 1817) - Women's conditions were really difficult: really important to get married to have a good standard of living, endure a lot of pressure. • This novel is a domestic novel: a novel about home life and family that often emphasizes the personalities and attitudes of its characters. But also satirical => aim of it : criticize the people who belong to the gentry (people of gentle birth, good breeding and high social position) cf: opening sentence.
• This extract is composed of a dialogue and two authorial interventions at the beginning and at the end.
• One main topic: The marriage and the money which goes with. It's introduced by the dialogue between the parents: Mr. & Mrs. Bennet. The trigger event (element déclencheur) of this passage is the arrival of Mr Bingley in the area.
• These topics (marriage and money) are very important because they constitute the plot the story of Pride and Prejudice is based on.
-Introduced by: Authorial interventions + Mrs. Bennet‘s speech / gossips
• Characters: - Mr Bennet : clever and dry wit ( pince –sans rire) l.46-47 - Mrs Bennet: excessive and vulgar. L.47 to 49 - Jane:...