Module Code6IM 501
of Learning Hours
Implementation of Global strategy, strategy and the organisation, strategic development, globalisation, international business and the environment, internationalisation.
There has been a fundamental shift in the world’s economy where national economies were once self contained, now cross border business activities and economies are much more inter-dependent on each other.
This module brings together elements of the global business environment with an understanding of the strategy making process. The ability to take an overview of business problem-solving and decision-making processes is necessary for a successful career in business management and administration. This module provides a broad representation of different, and often conflicting, perspectives and theories that reflect the richness of current debate among academics and practitioners in the field.
Initially the module focuses on enabling students to develop skills in the analysis of the strategic environment, development, evaluation and implementation of strategic concepts. These early stages of the module are designed to develop students’ analytical, problem-solving and decision-making skills.
The module continues with a study of the global business environment and critical evaluation through the use of case studies to develop the student’s awareness and explore good and bad practices within the business process, content and context
Using a consultative approach the module concludes by addressing contemporary global issues and the inter-dependence of national economies balanced with the strategic requirements of the global organisation.
Module Learning On successful completion of the module, students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate knowledge and a critical approach to the key contemporary theories and concepts recognised in the field of strategic management and globalisation.
2. Apply and critically discuss the appropriateness of relevant theories to complex business situations.
3. Apply consultancy principles and relevant theory to create, develop, plan and implement the Business Case Study Proposal recognising the importance of opportunity realisation and integrating implementation.
* History of the field , evolution and development of strategic management; * Strategic Decision-Making
* Formulating and analysing strategy;- The Strategy of International Business * Positioning Analysis – prescriptive and emergent approaches * Levels of Strategy and specifics of the strategy-making practices * Strategy development, evaluation and implementation
* International expansion and globalisation strategies - Exporting & Importing * Collaboration and competition: Knowledge creation through collaboration/network strategies * Developing and implementing customer-driven strategy
* National Differences in Political Economy
* Ethics in International Business - Values, morality, ethical considerations, CSR * International Trade Theory
* Foreign Direct Investment
* Multi Nationals & HRM
* International Labour Relations
* Regional Economic Integration & revision
* Foreign Exchange Market
* Political requirements of International Trade Theory
* Research Methods
* The Organization of International Business
* Entry Strategy and Alliance
* Global Production
* Financial Management in International business
* Ecological Challenges for Business and Society
* Consultancy Techniques
Module Learning Learning & Teaching Methods and Teaching