Intro to Art Appreciation
Methods of Presenting the Art Subjects
* In art, this is the attempt to portray the subject as it is. Even when the artist chooses a subject from nature, he selects, changes, and arranges details to express the idea he wants to make clear.
* The general attempt to depict things accurately, from either a visual, social or emotional perspective.
* Realists try to be as objective as possible.
* The Artist’s main function is to describe accurately and honestly as possible what is observed through the senses.
* Amorsolo’s painting
We can say that an art or a work is realistic when the presentation and organization of details in the work seem so natural.
* Abstract means “ to move away or separate”
* Abstract art moves away from showing things as they really are.
* This is used when the artist becomes so interested in one phase of a scene or a situation that he does not show the subject at all as an objective reality, but only his idea, or his feeling about it.
Abstract subjects can also be presented in many ways like:
a. Distortion – this is clearly manifested when the subject is in misshapen condition, or the regular shape is twisted out.
Henry Moore’s “Mother and Child” sculpture
Ex: Henry Moore’s sculptural works
b. Elongation – it refers to that which is being lengthened, a protraction or an extension.
Ex: El Greco’s elongated body of Jesus Christ in his “Resurrection”
c. Mangling – this may not be a commonly used way of presenting an abstract subject, but there are few artists who show subject or objects which are cut, lacerated, mutilated or hacked with repeated blows.
d. Cubism – It stresses abstract form through the use of a cone, cylinder, or sphere at the expense of other pictorial elements. The cubists want to show forms in their basic geometrical shapes.
Ex: Paul Cezanne’s works
e. Abstract Expressionism – is a... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2013, 06). Intro to Art Appreciation: Methods in Presenting the Art Subjects. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 06, 2013, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Intro-To-Art-Appreciation-Methods-In-1796578.html
"Intro to Art Appreciation: Methods in Presenting the Art Subjects" StudyMode.com. 06 2013. 2013. 06 2013 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Intro-To-Art-Appreciation-Methods-In-1796578.html>.
- MLA 7
"Intro to Art Appreciation: Methods in Presenting the Art Subjects." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 06 2013. Web. 06 2013. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Intro-To-Art-Appreciation-Methods-In-1796578.html>.
"Intro to Art Appreciation: Methods in Presenting the Art Subjects." StudyMode.com. 06, 2013. Accessed 06, 2013. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Intro-To-Art-Appreciation-Methods-In-1796578.html.