NOTE: This assignment requires viewing a DVD - "An Inconvenient Truth." You have four options. 1. Go to the CSUDH Library Instructional Media Center (LIB C121) and ask to view “An Inconvenient Truth”, which is posted on their web server. Note that the IMC is closed on weekends and certain Fridays. 2. Most public libraries will have the video for checkout. 3. You can also rent the DVD (check Wherehouse, Blockbuster, etc.). 4. Go the following website (foreign subtitles are a bit distracting) - http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/an-inconvenient-truth/
Answer the following questions, some of which are taken from the “Special Feature Update.” Please note: Whether you like Al Gore or not, please keep in my mind that he is presenting the cumulative work of leading scientists (see answer to #16).
1. In two words, what is the topic of this film?
2. Name the four spheres of the Earth. Of these, which one(s) do humans have the most impact on?
3. What causes the greenhouse effect?
4. What causes the annual downturns in carbon dioxide production?
5. What does Lonnie Thompson use to measure past CO2 and O2 levels? Other than CO2 and O2 levels, what other parameter can he and fellow scientists determine?
6. For tropical glaciers (e.g., Peru), how far back in time can they go using this technique?
7. How far back in time can they go using this technique in Antarctica?
8. How well do CO2 levels and temperature match over this time?
9. List the ten hottest years on record (make sure you see the Special Feature “Update”).
10. What is the hottest year on record?
11. Other than temperature, what other weather phenomena (there are several) have set records in the last few years?
12. Where on Earth is global warming the most pronounced?
13. What causes ocean waters to sink? (name two factors)
14. What caused the Little Ice Age in Europe?
15. Melting of what two large ice masses is of most concern in...