Income for College Athletes

Topics: American football, National Collegiate Athletic Association, College football Pages: 7 (2593 words) Published: February 13, 2013
Eric Tuiloma
Prof. Elder
English 102
24 April 2012

Income for College Football Athletes

College football athletes have been selling their jerseys, selling signature footballs, and committing crimes in order to be able to feed and support themselves financially to survive in the real world. Student athletes don’t have enough time on their hands to work during the season or during off season workouts. It’s considered a year round sport due to the fact that in offseason, college football players in training to stay in shape for the return of their upcoming season in the fall. Football takes up more than half of their daily time each year. Maintaining a steady grade point average is often enforced because of the demands held by the football program. Should football receive income while on a scholarship? Football athletes should get paid, not necessarily as professionals, paid every game, but at least to receive some form of money to help increase their monthly pay. They should be paid because college football players are making money based off of their performance, football athletes are compensated for free education while 70% percent of the athletes don’t even graduate, football consumes too much of the athlete’s time, and are exposing their selves daily to serious injuries that may lead up to a paralyzed body or as far as death. College football and basketball for years have been the highest producing revenue sports in NCAA. More than $470 million in new money poured into major college athletics programs last year, boosting spending on sports, even though we’re in rough economic times. Most of the money made in athletics revenue was because elevation in money generated through multi-media rights deals, donations and ticket receipts, but schools also continued increasing their subsidies from student fees and institutional funds (Berkowitz). Helping with the success of revenues in schools are wins by football teams and basketball teams. 6.2 billion was spent in 2010 on athletics at 218 schools and spending grew by 3% while revenue grew by 5.5%. Money spent on athletics was equated to make a good amount of profit. Could this profit be distributed to the performers? In the years of sports in NCAA revenue, media agreements have created about 86 percent of revenue while the other 14 percent was made from championships ticket sales. Where does the money go? It is distributed directly to the Division 1 membership. 60 percent of NCAA revenue is distributed to Division 1 members which, in 2009-2010, totaled to a little more than $433 million (where does the money go?). Some of the distribution is used for particular uses, such as academic support or those that meet special student athlete needs. Most of the money is distributed to scholarships and sports sponsorships. These funds are paid to conference offices and divided among conference institutions. The common uses of the money would be for salaries, financial aid for student athletes, and facility maintenance and travel. Only some of the 60 percent is used for the athletes which pays for the tuition and living expenses. NCAA in the article “Where does the money go?” states that their revenue is relatively small part of the overall intercollegiate athletics fiscal structure. NCAA research estimates the college athletics spend about 10.5 billion annually. Overall annual revenue for college athletics programs is 10.6 billion. NCAA total expenses for 2009-2010 were 707.2 million. Schools are making profit off of the athletic programs and NCAA are just an helping hand. The schools are a big impact in budget managing. According to khan, college football and college men’s basketball generate professional level revenues. 757 million in 1999 were total ticket revenues for football and men’s basketball. The broadcast revenue from NCAA of all football, in season and off season, exceeds professional basketball at 2.2 billion. In the modern day, has increased by 8 billion. The...
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • Essay on College Athletes
  • Exploitation of College Athletes Research Paper
  • Paying College Athletes Essay
  • why college athletes should be paid Essay
  • Essay about college athletes being paid
  • Essay on College athletes
  • College Athletes Essay
  • Academic Success Among College Athletes Essay

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free