BSP is a system designed to facilitate and simplify the selling, reporting and remitting procedures of IATA Accredited Passenger Sales Agents, as well as improve financial control and cash flow for BSP Airlines.
A truly worldwide system: at the close of 2009, there were 86 BSPs, covering more than 160 countries and territories serving about 400 airlines, while gross sales processed amounted to USD 191 billion.
NOTE: Earlier the head office was in sharjah but they have recently shifted it to OMAN.
Benefits of a BSP
* Agents issue one sales report and remit one amount to a central point.
* Airlines receive one settlement covering all agents.
* Simplifies and reduces work through the use of electronic ticketing on behalf of all BSP Airlines.
* Agents’ sales are reported electronically.
* Less resource required for billing and collection.
* Electronic distribution of billing reports, and generation of debit/credit memos (ADMs/ACMs) via BSPlink.
* Increased financial control thanks to centralization and grouping.
* Consolidated document flow, permitting accelerated quality controls.
* Overall process monitoring by a neutral body.
Participation in a BSP
AIRLINES and AGENTS both can participate in a BSP. It is open to all airlines (IATA members and non-members) serving the country or area concerned. Agents have to be accredited by IATA in order to use the BSP sustem
IATA Accredited Agents:
All IATA Accredited Agents in the BSP country of operation are automatically eligible for participation in a BSP. When a new BSP commences operations in a country, all Agents are notified by IATA and invited to participate.
General Sales Agents (GSAs) and Airport Handling Agents (AHA):
GSAs and AHAs may participate in a BSP (in the same way as Accredited Agents), on nomination by the airline they represent, and subject to the airline entering into a... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2011, 11). Iata- Billing and Settlement Plan. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 11, 2011, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Iata-Billing-And-Settlement-Plan-848784.html
"Iata- Billing and Settlement Plan" StudyMode.com. 11 2011. 11 2011 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Iata-Billing-And-Settlement-Plan-848784.html>.
"Iata- Billing and Settlement Plan." StudyMode.com. 11, 2011. Accessed 11, 2011. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Iata-Billing-And-Settlement-Plan-848784.html.