One of the ways by which a virus can infect your PC is through USB/Pen drives. Common viruses such as ’Ravmon’ , ‘New Folder.exe’, ‘Orkut is banned’ etc are spreading through USB drives. Most anti virus programs are unable to detect them and even if they do, in most cases they are unable to delete the file, only quarantine it. Here are the things which you can do if you want to remove such viruses from your USB drives.
1. Whenever you plug a USB drive in your system, a window will appear similar to the one shown below
2. Don’t click on Ok , just choose ‘Cancel’.
3. Open the Command Prompt by typing ‘cmd‘ in the run box. 4. In the command prompt type the drive letter: and press enter. 5. Now type dir /w/a and press enter.
6. This will display a list of the files in the pen drive. Check whether the following files are there or not:
• New Folder.exe
• or any other exe file which may be suspicious.
7. If any of the above files are there, then probably the USB drive is infected. 8. In command prompt type attrib -r -a -s -h *.* and press enter. 9. This will remove the Read Only, Archive, System and hidden file attribute from all the files. 10. Now just delete the files using the command del filename. -- Example del Ravmon.exe. -
Delete all the files that are suspicious.
• Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
• (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
• L:\Documents and Settings\kayzg>o:
• O:\>dir /w/ac
• Volume in drive O is KAYZGPEKEE2
• Volume Serial Number is D834-F037
• Directory of O:\
• [untitled folder] [System]
• [Documents] winzip90.exe
• sdat5277.exe LaunchU3.exe
• ethereal-setup-0.99.0.exe ethereal 1.doc
• PROJECT NETWORK MANAGEMENT.doc About the Raila Virus 1.doc • About the Raila Virus.doc KAYUMBO G.doc
• 9 File(s) 63,575,709 bytes
• 3 Dir(s) 547,983,360 bytes free
• O:\>del Autorun.inf
• Could Not Find...