ORIENTATION TO THE COURSE STATUS OF IV THERAPY IN THE PHILIPPINES HISTORY OF IV THERAPY IN THE PHILIPPINES
* Envisions itself to be a cohesive, pro-active, professional association, committed to excellence in nursing. * Believes that safe and quality nursing care to patients is the primary responsibility of nurses. * Believes that those who practice I.V. therapy nursing are only those R.N.s who are adequately trained and have completed the training requirements prescribed by ANSAP. * RA 7164 – The Philippine Act of 1991 Sec. 27 (a) Art. V states that I.V. injection is within the scope of nursing practice. * 1993 – Nursing Standards on Intravenous Practice was established. * October 1993 – Training for Trainers for ANSAP Board Members and Advisers. * February 4, 1994 – PRC-BON Resolution No. 08
* June 9-11, 1994 – Training for Trainers at Cagayan de Oro City. * May 17, 1995 – Protocol Governing Special Training on the Administration of I.V. Injections for RNs adopted ANSAP's I.V. Nursing Standards of Practice. * 2002 – Special Committee by ANSAP in collaboration with PRC-BON was founded. * RA 9173 – Philippine Nursing Law of 2002.
* August 25, 2006 – Nursing Standards on Intravenous Practice 7th ed was released.
Why do we need to be updated regarding I.V. therapy?
* More medications are being administered intravenously now than before. * Nurses are assuming greater responsibilities related to I.V. medication administration. * Many technical improvements have been made in equipment, and innovative as well as time-saving measures have been developed to increase the efficacy of the therapy.
STANDARDS ON IV THERAPY
1. Initiation Technique
2. Drug Administration
6. Infection Control and Complications
DEFINITION OF IV THERAPY
* Intravenous (IV) Therapy – insertion of a needle into a vein, based on the...