Hair Loss Has Multiple Causes

Topics: Baldness, Hair, Alopecia Pages: 11 (4258 words) Published: October 30, 2012
How to Prevent Hair Loss
Hair loss has multiple causes, including diet, mineral deficiency, medications, stress, pollution, and your genetics. wearing helmets and caps can also increase hair loss.[1] Up to one third of the population suffers from hair loss, and of that third, thousands are women.[2] Whatever the cause of hair loss that might be worrying you, it's important to understand what is hair loss, how hair grows, and what you could be doing before hair loss even becomes an issue for you. In this article, you'll find out all three answers, as well as some short advice on what to do if hair loss does become an issue for you. Steps 1. Understand why hair loss happens. Hair loss (alopecia) occurs mainly on the head but it can also happen on other parts of the body.[3] It can happen at any age and will affect an estimated 30 to 40 percent of any population.[4] It is not always easy to identify the reason behind hair loss in an individual case but the generally known reasons behind hair loss can range from genetics and aging to diseases and stress and poor diet. Even childbirth can trigger hair loss for some women. There are several types of hair loss, as follows:[5]  Androgenetic alopecia: This is the most common form of hair loss and is also referred to as male-pattern or female-pattern baldness. Hormones and genetics seem to play the main role here. Male-pattern baldness is

hereditary, from either side of the family, and can even skip generations.[6] It tends to occur on the crown and at the temples and when these patches join together, the top of the hair is left completely bald. Statistics show that this type of hair loss affects 30 percent of men aged 30, 50 percent of men aged 50, and 70 percent of men aged 70.[7] For women, the hair thins initially on the frontal area and the crown and moves down the sides of the head, while the back of the head remains dense with hair.[8] This is hereditary and tends to affect women mostly after menopause.[9]

 Toxic alopecia: This type of hair loss seems to occur following physical or emotional stress. Things such as illness, scalp infections, sudden loss of weight, surgery, drugs, and pregnancy/childbirth can cause this type of hair loss. Diseases such as lupus, diabetes, and thyroid disease can bring about such hair loss, as can chemotherapy, heart disease drugs, and radiation therapy.[10] Hair loss that occurs as a result of a mental or physical stress can occur some 2 to 3 months after the event that sparked the stress.[11]  Alopecia areata: This is actually a skin disorder which causes hair on the affected skin areas to fall out. It is usually the scalp or beard and is thought to have autoimmune causes. This type of hair loss seems to be most common in young people. The hair usually grows back.  Alopecia universalis or totalis: All body hair is lost, from everywhere, including eyebrows and eyelashes.[12] Hair follicles are not destroyed; the inability to grow hair back is psychological and getting hair to grow back again is not easy.[13]  Trichotillomania: This is hair loss due to hair pulling, a habit or condition that can be corrected with treatment.  Scarring alopecia: This is hair loss that occurs at the site of scars or damaged areas such as burns or skin cancer.

2 Remember how hair grows. It's likely you've already read the statistics on how hair grows but it's worth being reminded. Around 90 percent of your hair is following a two to six year growth phase, while the remaining 10 percent is in a two to three month resting phase. After it rests, it sheds, and we can lose anywhere from 80 to 150 hairs a day, depending on our hair type and genetic background.[14][15][16] As for eyebrow hairs, we tend to keep them for only 10 weeks![17] And the growth rate for hair tends to be about 1 cm (just under 1/2 an inch) per month.[18] 3 Take care of your hair. There are no guarantees that you can prevent hair loss that is genetically programmed or hair loss caused...
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • HA HA HA HA Essay
  • hair loss Essay
  • Essay about Ginger Extract as an Anti-Hair Loss
  • Helping Make Hair Loss History Essay
  • Essay about Annotated Soap Note Hair Loss
  • Essay on Multiple Intelligence and Memory Loss
  • Propecia
  • Hair Research Paper

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free