Global Civ Midterm Study Guide
* What does an archeologist do?
* They evaluate settlements and study artifacts
* What is cultural diffusion?
* The spread of aspects of culture from one area of the world to another * What is irrigation and where did it start?
* Method of transporting water to crops; started in valleys of Nile, Tigris and Euphrates * What is the Neolithic Revolution?
* The important shift from food gathering to food producing * Who are the nomads?
* Wanderers who travel from place to place in search of food CH 2
* What is a dynasty?
* Family of rulers in which the right to rule passes on with the family * What is the Fertile Crescent?
* Fertile land that lies within the crescent shaped area, Tigris-Euphrates Valley was within it * Hammurabi
* Strong Babylonian ruler who created code of Hammurabi * Hebrews
* Lived in eastern part of fertile crescent, influenced region and history * What is the Mesopotamia
* Tigris-Euphrates valley, anicent
* What is monarchy?
* King and queen
* Belief in one god
* What is mummification?
* Preservation process that involved treating a corpse with various chemicals * Persians
* Ancient civilization who took over Babylon
* What is a pharaoh?
* Egyptian Ruler
* Made up of city states, known as traders
* What is polytheism
* Belief in many gods
* Developed city states, were farmers, made many discoveries, education was important * Theocracy
* Government ruled by clergy claiming god’s authority * Ziggurats
* Temples created by sumerians
* Came from the Vedas
* Priests who knew the proper forms and rules
* Siddhartha Gautama, traveled the world to find the answers to “why does suffering exist” and “what is the value of life and death?” * Buddhism
* The four noble truths
* Caste system
* 4 social classes: the Brahmins, the warriors, the merchants/landowners, and commoners/peasants * Hinduism
* Monistic, believed in Maya
* Positive or negative force by actions which determine status in next life * Reincarnation
* Rebirth where soul enters human or animal body after death CH 4
* Artistic Chinese writing
* Confucius’s political ancient Chinese philosophy
* Ancient Chinese philosophy that shunned politics
* Dynastic Cycle
* Rising, expansion, regression, collapse
* Greece was birthplace, people had a say
* Homeric Age
* Poets were there, Iliad and odyssey
* On an island, traders
* Mainland Greece
* Peloponnesian War
* Athens vs Sparta; Sparta won
* Persian wars
* Persian leader wanted to take over Athens and punishment but failed * Polis
* Greek word for City state
* Alexander The Great
* Military who conquered many areas; in golden age of greece * Aristotle
* Had many beliefs on politics, knowledgeable; in golden age of greece * Golden Age
* Philosophers, writers, and art
* Wrote dialogue; in golden age of Greece
* Thinker and teacher; in golden age of Greece
* Study of the most fundamental questions of reality and human existence CH 7
* Former name is Octavian, referred to as the first roman emperor * Byzantine Empire
* Centralized government, emperor, the Christian Church, Turks ended empire * Carthage
* Conflicted with Rome, had good navy
* Punic wars
* Rome vs. carthage; carthage lost and had to pay lots of money for first 2, Rome...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document