* Functions; reconcile the needs of producers and consumers, improving efficiency, improving accessibility and providing specialist services
* Consumer Channels; producer direct to consumer, producer to retailer to consumer, producer to wholesaler to retailer to consumer, producer to agent to distributor to wholesaler to retailer to consumer
* Industrial Channels; producer to industrial customers, producer to agent to industrial customer, producer to distributor to industrial customer, producer to agent to distributor to industrial customer
* Service Channels; service provider to consumer/ industrial customer, service provider to agent to consumer or industrial customer
Determine channel strategy
* Making decisions concerning the selection of the most effective distribution channel, most appropriate level of distribution intensity and the correct degree of channel integration
3 components of channel strategy; channel selection, intensity and integration
* Channel selection is influenced by;
Market factors; buyer behaviour, ability to meet buyer needs, the willingness of channel intermediaries to market a product, the profit margins required by distributors and agents compared with the costs of direct distribution and the location and geographic concentration of customers
Producer factors; lack of resources, the width and depth of the product mix offered by a producer, and the desired level of control of channel operations
Product factors; complexity, perishability, extent of bulkiness and difficulty of handling
Competitive factors; need to choose innovative channels because traditional channels are controlled by the competition or because a competitive advantage is likely to result
* Channel intensity
Intensive distribution; achieve saturated coverage of the market by using all available outlets, selective distribution, where a limited number of outlets in a geographical area are... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2011, 01). Functions and Types of Channels of Distribution. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 01, 2011, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Functions-And-Types-Of-Channels-Of-565107.html
"Functions and Types of Channels of Distribution" StudyMode.com. 01 2011. 2011. 01 2011 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Functions-And-Types-Of-Channels-Of-565107.html>.
- MLA 7
"Functions and Types of Channels of Distribution." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 01 2011. Web. 01 2011. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Functions-And-Types-Of-Channels-Of-565107.html>.
"Functions and Types of Channels of Distribution." StudyMode.com. 01, 2011. Accessed 01, 2011. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Functions-And-Types-Of-Channels-Of-565107.html.