The purpose of this lab was to see how different compounds can change color while in a flame and with this color, I can identify the compound. The test involve putting sample element and see what color appears. Also Thermal excited electron goes from low to high energy level which raises the color but when the excitation ends electron gets to lower level which makes the color back to normal. In order to determine the identity of several unknowns, I will perform flame tests and then use my data and observations.
In this Unit, I am studying the election configurations such as Barium, Copper, Lithium, Potassium, and ects. I studied wavelengths in the visible spectrum. I also studied a characteristic color in a flame test and energy changes of electrons.
1. Put on lab apron.
2. A half amount of water was added to small beaker.
3. The lab burner was lighted.
4. Obtain one of test stick so that I has been soaking in Fe(No). .
5. Then the test stick #4 was put to fire and observe the color of the flame.
6. After recording the color of the flame #5 and now get ready to test another stick.
7. Repeat the process of obtaining other test stick and observe the color of the flame for the following elements: Barium, Copper, Lithium, Potassium, Sodium, and Calcium.
8. Test all of the test sticks and make sure that you record the color of the flame for each element on the Data Table.
1. Flame tests are useful means of determining the composition of substances. The colors produced by the flame test are compared to known standards. The color of the flame and component colors is unique for each element.
2. Flame analysis is based on the physical and chemical principle that atoms—after being heated by flame—return to their normal energy state by giving off the excess energy in the form of light. The frequencies of the light given off are characteristic for each element.
Cite This Essay
(2011, 10). Flame Test Lab Report. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 10, 2011, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Flame-Test-Lab-Report-816161.html
"Flame Test Lab Report" StudyMode.com. 10 2011. 2011. 10 2011 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Flame-Test-Lab-Report-816161.html>.
- MLA 7
"Flame Test Lab Report." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 10 2011. Web. 10 2011. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Flame-Test-Lab-Report-816161.html>.
"Flame Test Lab Report." StudyMode.com. 10, 2011. Accessed 10, 2011. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Flame-Test-Lab-Report-816161.html.