Directions: Answer the following short answer questions on a separate sheet. Use as much detail as possible.
1. Define and explain magical realism and provide at least 3 examples from the novel to support your answer.
2. What is the significance of the phosphorus experiment based on Dr. Brown and Kikapu’s theory?
3. Explain the significance of the title Like Water for Chocolate as a theme to the novel.
4. Interpret the differences and similarities between Dr. Brown, Pedro, and Juan Alejandrez.
5. Explain why fire is a metaphor in the novel and what it is a metaphor for?
Directions: Answer the following question in a 4 -paragraph essay. Use a separate sheet and make sure to explain your answer in detail and include textual support. (Periods 2 & 3)
1. Many times we read literature and dislike what we read. Some people read only because they are required to for a class. In your essay, tell whether or not you would have read the novel Like Water for Chocolate for personal pleasure. Explain the positive and the negatives of the novel in detail including characters and specific instances
2. (Period 5)
Often a country at war experiences political and personal revolution. Describe the revolution and its consequences on Tita as a personal and political change takes place in her life and her country.
3. Laura Esquivel uses magical realism to tell a story of love, frustration, loss and obligation. Choose one instance of magical realism that you believe is the most significant in the novel and tell why.
Please join StudyMode to read the full document