• Discuss ethical considerations in qualitative research.
• Discuss ethical considerations related to research studies at the biological level of analysis.
• Discuss ethical considerations in research into genetic influences on behaviour.
• Discuss ethical considerations related to research studies at the cognitive level of analysis.
• Discuss ethical considerations related to research studies at the sociocultural level of analysis.
• Discuss cultural and ethical considerations in diagnosis (for example, cultural variation, stigmatization).
2. Ethics is an area of study which seeks to address questions about morality; that is, about concepts such as good and bad, right and wrong, justice, and virtue.
3. Ethics and psychology are intimately linked, inseparable concepts. Every psychological investigation is an ethically charged situation, as research often involves subjecting both human and animal participants to pain or embarrassment. In psychological experiments on human subjects, ethics are dictated by a series of guidelines that researchers must abide by, designed to minimize or eliminate any unnecessary discomfort. There are five major ethical principles detailed by the American Psychological Association:
• Subjects must give informed consent (i.e they must voluntarily agree to and be aware of the contents of the experiment they are to participate in).
• Subjects must be given adequate privacy and confidentiality in publishing the experiment’s findings.
• Subjects reserve the right to withdraw from the experiment if they so desire.
• Subjects should be debriefed in the experiment’s conclusion; if deception has been part of the procedure the nature and purpose of the deception should be explained.
• The safety of the subjects should be of paramount importance and they should be provided with sufficient protection from harm or discomfort.
These principles must be abided by for the experiment to... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2011, 05). Ethics in Psychology. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 05, 2011, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Ethics-In-Psychology-696499.html
"Ethics in Psychology" StudyMode.com. 05 2011. 05 2011 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Ethics-In-Psychology-696499.html>.
"Ethics in Psychology." StudyMode.com. 05, 2011. Accessed 05, 2011. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Ethics-In-Psychology-696499.html.