1. According to the first paragraph, what characteristics of the "Red Death" make it such a horrible disease? * The characteristics of the “Red Death” that make it such a horrible disease are the profuse amounts of blood, sharp pains, sudden dizziness, and the seizure.
2. Describe in detail Prospero's plan for escaping the epidemic. * Prospero’s plan for escaping the epidemic was to gather a thousand hale and light-hearted friends from his court and keep them within a wall. The courtiers brought massy hammers to weld the bolts. Within the wall the people basically rejoiced to keep away from the “Red Death.”
3. What do the ebony clock and its arresting chimes add to the plot? Can you think of any symbolic value the clock might have? *
4. What symbolic evidence can you find in Poe's use of the following? * A. the number seven
B. the use of colors, especially the black and scarlet in the seventh room -
C. the movement from east to west in the sequence of the rooms and throughout the story -
5. In your opinion, how does this allusion add a layer of meaning to this story? *
6. "The want of parental affection," wrote Poe "has been the heaviest of my trials." Explain why Poe would make such a statement. *
7. What prominent military academy did Poe attend? Did he graduate? Why or why not? *
8. In great detail, comment on Virginia Clemm.
9. Why is much of what we know about Poe wrong?
10. Poe is widely known for inventing what type of story?