Economic Factors Affecting Uk Exports

Topics: European Union, United Kingdom, Europe Pages: 3 (931 words) Published: March 3, 2008
The UK as the largest economy in Europe next to Germany, and has the fifth largest economy in the world in terms of market exchange rates. The UK is also one of the most globalized countries in the world. London, the capital of the UK, is one of the three major financial centers in the world, along with New York and Tokyo. Having grown every quarter since 1992, The UK economy has seen the longest period of sustained economic growth for more than 150 years.

Service industries are the most significant earner for the UK economy. Agriculture in the UK supplies roughly 60% of the total food demand of the nation. The oil, coal, and natural gas reserves are relatively high and account for about 10% of the GDP. Almost 70% of GDP in the UK is accounted for by private consumption.

The main trading partners for the UK include the European Union, US, Asia, Australia, the Middle East, Latin America, and Africa. The UK is the fifth largest export market for the US, and ranks fourth in the world in terms of volume of imports. In the past, imports have exceeded exports and the UK has run a current account deficit however, as of recently, the deficit is somewhat flat. The UK also has the third least barriers to trade and investment in the world. The UK is a member of the European Union, but it has chosen to remain outside the Economic and Monetary Union. The majority of the UK population is opposed to the single currency because they feel the economy is doing well without any alliance. The UK is continuing with its original currency of the pound (GBP) while a large number of other European nations have adopted the Euro as their single currency.

If the UK were to join the Economic and Monetary Union could have both advantages and disadvantages. Advantages:
1. A single currency should end currency instability in the participating countries by permanently fixing exchange rates. Because the Euro would have the enhanced credibility of being used in a large...
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • Economic Factors Affecting Tajikistan Essay
  • Macro-economic factors Essay
  • Essay on Internal and External Factors Affecting Uk as a Destination
  • Economic Factors Essay
  • economic climate uk Essay
  • Essay on social economic factors affecting health
  • economic factors Essay
  • Discuss the Main Factors Affecting Product Pricing in the Uk Essay

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free