Jacksonville Florida based CSX Corporation, along with its subsidiaries leads as one of the top transportation providers. Services that CSX offers is traditional rail services and transportation of containers and trailers as well as trucking and logistics services. CSX was started 32 years ago as a result of the 3 major railway companies that consisted of Baltimore & Ohio (B&O), Chesapeake & Ohio and Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac railroad to merging to create a more efficient transportation system along the eastern seaboard. In addition to transportation, CSX also offers information technology applications and support services. This technology aids in the efficiency of data resource management, scheduling, tracking and monitoring freight. The following will offer some background on CSX’s SWOT, its core values, vision code of ethics types of jobs it offers and other pertinent information about the company.
1) Strong name brand and performance
2) Consistent financial performance
3) The strong management team within the company that controls all the work efficiently Weaknesses
1) The company is more dependent and relies on the labor force which decreases in their efficiency. 2) CSX is experiencing the lack in the scale as compared to its competitors 3) CSX has a very weak level of performance among the divisions made by the company in various sectors and allocations.
1) Growth and expansion in North America where there is a lot of interest in the development of vehicle market. 2) The decrease in the process of fuel is very much advantageous for the company to increase its profitability and growth rate margin 3) Shortage of truck drivers in the market
1) Rising fuel prices
2) Aggressive competition
3) Economic slowdown in the U.S.
Serving a variety of population locations in 23 states east of the Mississippi River, the District of Columbia, and the Canadian provinces of Ontario and Quebec, CSX operates and serves approximately a 21,000 mile rail network route, and operates approximately 4,000 locomotives. CSX employs approximately 31,344 employees, extends its services through a network of approximately 50 terminals transporting manufactured consumer goods in containers in the eastern United States. The company offers trucking dispatch operations and also operates various distribution centers and storage locations. Additionally, CSX links non-rail served customers to the benefits of rail through transferring products directly from the train to trucks, such as ethanol and minerals. CSX also is provides real estate acquisition, development, sale, leasing, and management services.
CSX has a clearly specified vision and set of core values. The company’s vision is to capitalize on the efficiency of rail transportation to serve America. It also believes that” living by a set of fundamental core values helps to define the true measure of a company”. (“CSX,” 2012)When all employees are aligned with fundamental guiding principles, companies consistently serve their customers and other stakeholders and deliver superior financial results that ensure long-term success”. (“CSX,” 2012) The framework of its core values center around starting with the customer, people making the difference, safety being a way of life, using the facts and getting the right results, the right way.
It Starts With the Customer
1) Reliable service is our key to growth.
2) Own their problems – win their business
People Make the Difference
1) Every employee engaged and adding value.
2) Treat each other with respect and dignity
Safety is a Way of Life
1) Live safely for your family.
2) Look out for each other
1) Fix the problem, not its symptoms.
2) Improve performance with facts, don’t speculate
Right Results, Right...