* Access the Electronic Reserve Readings link on your student Web site for Week Nine. * Select one of the topics below and read both articles that present opposing sides of the argument surrounding that topic.
* Animal experimentation
* Media violence
* Answer the following questions in paragraphs of approximately 100 words demonstrating your critical and creative thinking skills.
1. Identify if the topic you chose, as presented by both articles, is a problem or an issue and explain what makes it a problem or an issue. If you believe the articles present both problems and issues, identify and explain what the problems are and what the issues are.
The article I chose to discus was the Media violence topic. I believe that this topic is an issue. I believe it’s an issue because there are arguments that can defend both sides. One article believes that media violence is proven to have a direct impact on viewers. The other article believes that the research produces no clear answers on the subject. Many people react to things they see in the media differently. Some may be easily influenced by the violence, but other may not be affected by the violence at all. So by not being able to prove the argument either way, this makes it an issue and not a problem.
2. Were the problems or issues expressed effectively? Describe how the problems or issues were or were not best expressed.
The issues were expressed effectively. They both did a good job at making their cases and arguing their points. The article that was arguing that media violence has been exaggerated gave and compared multiple sources and statistics to back their argument. They gave pretty good details on why media violence is not that big of a factor. The other article used information that they gathered from doing research. The issues that were not best expressed was where did they do they research and what kind of environment were the studies done. This plays a major factor in how the media violence affects people.
3. How would you determine the credibility of the sources of information used by the authors in the articles when investigating the problems or issues presented by your topic?
They both used credible sources. They both used sources from professionals who actually study the topic as a living. The article arguing that the media violence has been exaggerated used government sources that monitor and study this topic and its activities. This article also used a psychology source that studies violent behaviors and their causes. The article arguing that media violence does promote violent behavior used scientific sources from universities that study violent behaviors and their causes. One of their sources was the Office of the Surgeon General which is a very reliable source when it comes to learning about the affects of violence in the media.
4. Compare two steps that would be most effective in refining solutions to the problem and resolutions to the issues presented by your topic.
Step 1 would be to decide which action should be taken. This step consists of asking and answering question. Questions such as:
What exactly is to be done?
How is it to be done?
By whom is it to be done?
Will those doing it volunteer for the job or be assigned to it Will these individuals need to be trained?
Step 2 would be recognizing and overcoming difficulties. You should consider this step because no matter how carefully a plan has been conceived, it is likely to encounter difficulties. You should check for common kinds of imperfections such as: Safety
5. Identify three strategies that could help you foster criticism when evaluating both arguments for your topic.
Three steps that can help me foster criticism when evaluating both...