Schedule for The Metamorphosis*
Surrealism and Existentialism Word Webs________
Franz Kafka and The Metamorphosis________
Reading Guide Chapter 1________
Reading Guide Chapter 2________
Reading Guide Chapter 3________
The Metamorphosis Quiz________
Kafkanesque Images and Symbolism________
Character Attribute Chart________
Post Reading Discussion________
The Metamorphosis Glossary Vocabulary Test ________
What is an Allegory?/Gregor’s Metamorphosis as Allegory________ Allegory and Symbol Parts I-IV________
Symbolism in The Metamorphosis________
The Metamorphosis Test ________
*Note: Dates are subject to change.
Existentialism and Surrealism
Franz Kafka and The Metamorphosis
The Metamorphosis Reading Guide Chapter 1
1. What is Gregor Samsa’s initial reaction to his metamorphosis and the part of his “new life” that troubles him?
2. What are examples of Gregor’s denial of his transformed condition?
3. What is Gregor’s view of his job and the summation of his life.
4. What is Gregor’s opinion of his boss?
5. What is Gregor’s relationship with each of his family members?
6. How is Gregor’s locked door a symbol?
7. Describe the symbolism of weather.
8. What affect does the arrival of the office manager have on the family?
9. Describe Gregor’s voice and the reactions he gets from the manager, his mother, his father and describe Gregor’s to their reaction.
10. Describe the manager, his mother, his father reactions to Gregor’s appearance and he to them.
The Metamorphosis Reading Guide Chapter 2
1. What differences occur in Gregor and his family following his metamorphosis?
2. What are Gregor’s primary concerns, the effects of those concerns, and what they indicate about him and his family?
3. Characterize Grete by Gregor’s memories, her actions, and her thoughts.
4. Characterize Mr. and Mrs. Samsa.
5. Examine indications of Gregor’s increasing alienation from his family.
6. What is the importance of removing furniture from Gregor’s room?
7. Removing furniture from Gregor’s room is the turning point of the story. How and why?
8. Why is the picture of the woman in the fur important to Gregor?
9. Describe the confrontation between Mr. Samsa and Gregor.
10. How is the confrontation between Mr. Samsa and Gregor filled with religious symbolism?
The Metamorphosis Reading Guide Chapter 3
1. Describe the wound Gregor has and who he got it.
2. Describe the changes in the family since Gregor’s metamorphosis.
3. Why does Gregor’s pain intensify after his father goes to bed, and his mother and sister draw close to one another and close the door?
4. What are the causes and effects of the boarders arrival?
5. What does Gregor mean when he says, “I’m hungry enough, but not for these things. Look how these roomers are gorging themselves, and I’m dying!”?
6. How does Grete “abandon” Gregor and what are the results of the abandonment?
7. How is Gregor’s death discovered?
8. What is the family’s reaction to Gregor’s death?
9. Describe the metamorphosis each family member of Gregor’s family has gone through?
10. Analyze this statement: “...they thought it would soon be time, too, to find her a good husband. It was like a confirmation of their new dreams and good intentions...”
The Metamorphosis Post-Reading Discussion Questions
1.Analyze Gregor’s physical and emotional...