Courtship and Marriage Customs during Shakespeare's Time
• Marriage/wedding was the most important thing for women • Woman had little choice in who her husband might be
• Couples would meet for the very first time on their wedding day • Marriages were frequently arranged
• Women were expected to bring a dowry to the marriage • Legal for boys to marry at 14 • Legal for girls to marry at 12
- Was not usual. Age of consent was 21.
• After marriage, husband gets full rights over wife
MOROCCO VS SHAKESPEARE
• The whole courtship process can last from six months up to two years. • Wedding is not held in church, instead it is held either in the groom’s or the bride’s house. • Marriages are not arranged, most young couples can choose their own marriage partners. • Grooms need to prepare presents for brides: golden jewelry, clothes and perfumes
Below are the three stages of a Moroccan’s Wedding:
-A pre- wedding ceremony
- A specialist paints for bride.
- Traditional clothing - Kaftans
- Milk and dates
AMERICA VS KOREA VS SHAKESPEARE
• Wedding traditions and customs have taken from other countries and cultures – mostly Europe and evolved from other nations • Held in church(religious), hotel, house
• Gifts are important. Given to the bride and groom at the wedding reception • Colors have long played a part in the planning of wedding
• Parents arranged their children's marriage.
• Children have no choice to choose who to marry
• Wear traditional clothes, Hanbok (traditional clothes) • The groom traveled to bride's home, then stayed there for • 3days before taking to new home...