In objective terms, utility may be defined as the “amount of satisfaction derived from a commodity or service at a particular time”.
• UH:\Games.exetility can be measured.
• Marginal Utility of money remains constant
• No change in income of the consumer, his taste & fashion to be constant
• No substitute
• Independent marginal utility of each unit of commodity Utility Characteristics:
• Utility is subjective/not measurable
• Utility is variable
• Utility is different from usefulness
• No legal or moral connotations
Marginal Utility (MU)
The word Marginal means “Border” or “Edge”.
It is the addition made to the total utility by consuming one more unit of a commodity.
Total Utility (TU)
Total Utility refers to the total satisfaction derived by the consumer from the consumption of a given quantity of a good.
TU = Sum of all MU Relationship between TU and MU
I. TU=sum of MU
II. TU increases so long as MU is positive.
III. When MU is zero, TU is maximum
IV. When MU is negative, TU is diminishing.
* The exponents of the utility analysis have developed two laws which occupy a very important place in economics theory and they are :-
# Law of Diminishing Marginal Utility
# Law of Equi-Marginal Utility Law of Diminishing Marginal Utility
The additional benefit a person derives from a given increase of his stock of a thing diminishes with every increase in the stock that he already has Law of Equi-Marginal Utility
The consumer will spend his money income on different goods in such a way that marginal utility of each good is proportional to its price Consumer’s equilibrium
Consumer will attain its equilibrium (maximum satisfaction) at the point, where marginal utility of a product divided by the marginal utility of a rupee, is equal to the price.... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2013, 05). Consumer Equilibrium. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 05, 2013, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Consumer-Equilibrium-1653587.html
"Consumer Equilibrium" StudyMode.com. 05 2013. 2013. 05 2013 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Consumer-Equilibrium-1653587.html>.
- MLA 7
"Consumer Equilibrium." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 05 2013. Web. 05 2013. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Consumer-Equilibrium-1653587.html>.
"Consumer Equilibrium." StudyMode.com. 05, 2013. Accessed 05, 2013. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Consumer-Equilibrium-1653587.html.