Quinney Spring 2010
PROMPT FOR ESSAY #1
Based on your reading of The American Promise and James Marten, Childhood and Child Welfare in the Progressive Era, answer the following essay prompt. Your essay should be a minimum of 1000 words and a maximum of 1500 words. Be sure to make specific reference to and cite specific examples from your reading as evidence to support your answer.
1. Define the Progressive movement in your own words.
2. Begin by identifying the basic beliefs and goals of the movement, 3. Then explain why reformers were motivated to improve the lives of city children, in particular. 4. In your answer, identify three (3) documents included in Childhood and Child Welfare in the Progressive Era that best represent the Progressive reformers’ effort to mitigate the dangers facing urban children. 5. Be sure to explain why these particular documents stand out from the others. 6. In your opinion, are there any problems urban children faced in the early 20th century that still exist today?
• Address every question. Be sure to answer every question in the prompt. To avoid overlooking a question, it may help to use the prompt questions to organize your essay.
• Include an introduction. Lay out for your reader the organizational plan for the essay. State your main argument (thesis). You are encouraged to introduce the book in the first or second paragraph of your essay, so that your references are clear throughout.
• Think for yourself. Answer the questions with your own brainpower, in your own words. This is not a research paper assignment! The American Promise is the only source outside of the assigned book that you may consult. ***Do NOT visit the Library or the World Wide Web for additional resources.
• Prove your point. Provide ample evidence to support your argument(s) by providing concrete examples and illustrations from your reading....