Name: Sandra R. Gibson
Student I.D.: 0405713
TABLE OF CONTENTS
I. INTRODUCTION PAGE 1 II. AUTHORSHIP OF THE BIBLE PAGE 2 - 9 III. THE BIBLE PAGE 10 - 18 IV. AUTHORSHIP OF THE QURAN PAGE 19 V. THE QURAN PAGE 20 - 23 VI. THE BIBLE COMPARED TO QURAN PAGE 24-28 VII. FIVE PILLARS OF ISLAM COMPARED TO THE TEN PAGE 29-34 COMMANDMENTS
VIII. COMPARING THE LIFE OF TWO AFRO-AMERICANS
(1) MALCOM X - ISLAMIC MUSLIM/QURAN PAGE 35-43 8 (2) MARTIN LUTHER KING JR. - CHRISTIAN/BIBLE PAGE 44-48 9 (3) BOTH MEN'S POLITICAL VIEWS ON VIOLENCE AND PAGE 49-56 CHANGE IN SOCIETY
(4) THE STRONG CONNECTION BETWEEN BOTH MEN PAGE 57
I am writing this paper based on the comparsion of two religions; the Islamic faith and Christianity, also comparing two great leaders who gave their life for civil rights and justice to man-kind as a whole. Both coming from a Baptist background and Afro-Americans. Their christianty and islamic beliefs brought world leaders to know that they have a strong connection together. By me being Catholic/ Prostestant of faith I gained a excellent outlook of the Islam religion and practices, the peoples as a whole and the unity of both religions.
I. In Christian Bibles there are 39 books in the Old Testament the following is a summary of them and their prophets.
A. PENTATEUCH - 5 BOOKS
The first division of the Jewish Bible is the Torah, meaning "Instruction" or "Law"; in scholarly literature it is frequently called by its Greek name, the Pentateuch ("five scrolls"). It is the group of five books made up of Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy and stands first in all versions of the Christian Old Testament.
1. GENESIS - Creation, the fall, the flood, spread of the nations, Abraham, Issac, Jacob and Joseph enslavement in Egypt.
2. EXODUS - Enslavement, Moses ,10 plagues, passover, leave Egypt, Red Sea Crossing, Mt. Sinai and the 10 Commandments.
3. LEVITICUS - Instructions on sacrificial system and the priesthood. Instructions on moral purity.
4. NUMBERS - Still at Mt. Sinai, people make false idol punishment, 40 years wandering begins. 5. DEUTERONOMY - Moses discovers on God's Act for Israel the decalogue, the ceremonial, civil, and several laws, and covenant ratification.
The prophets are:
B. HISTORICAL - 12 BOOKS
1. JOSHUA - First half of Joshua describes the 7-year conquest of the land promise, the last half deals with partitioning the lands to the people. 2. JUDGES - Time of Judges. This was a bad time period. The Israelites did not drive out all the inhabitants of Canaan and began to take part in their idolatry. 7 cycles of foreign oppression, repentance, and deliverance. In the end, the people failed to learn their lesson. 3. RUTH - Kinsman redeemer in Boaz, redeeming Ruth, a moabitess. Speaks of righteousness, love and faithfulness to the lord. (THE NEXT 6 BOOKS TRACE THE TIME FROM SAMUEL TO THE CAPTIVITY) 4. FIRST SAMUEL - Samual carries Israel from judges to King Saul. 5. SECOND SAMUEL - David as King, adultery, and murder.
6. FIRST KINGS - Solomon, Israel is powerful. Solomon dies, then division of tribes: 10 the the north and 2 to the south.
7. SECOND KINGS - The divided Kingdom. All 19 kings of Israel were bad; therefore, captivity in Assyria (722 B.C.). In Judah, 8 of 20 rulers were good but went into exile too. (4)
8. FIRST CHRONICLES -...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document