KELAS : X
1. Tulis nomor dan nama Anda pada lembar jawaban yang disediakan 2. Periksa dan bacalah soal dengan teliti sebelum Anda bekerja 3. Kerjakanlah soal anda pada lembar jawaban
4. Gunakan waktu dengan efektif dan efisien
5. Periksalah pekerjaan anda sebelum diserahkan kepada Pengawas
Read the following information carefully!
Every year thousands of people die, due to wheather related problems. This has been a particular problem in Europe over the last few years. It can happen in both winter and in summer. Let’s examine the causes for a moment. The year 2003 was a time of extreme cold in the winter. Extreme, that is by European standards. In Britain alone, the number of people who died from cold-related illnesses was described as ‘shameful’. Nearly twenty-five thousand people died from illnesses such as strokes, heart attacks, bronchitis, flu and pneumonia. Each of these deaths were though to have been caused by the cold weather. A campaign called ‘The cold can kill’ was launched to give people advice on how to survive the effects of t he cold wheather and freezing temperatures. In the summer of t he same year, around twenty-three thousand people died in Europe due to the sizzling temperatures. France was particulary badly hit, with nearly fifteen thousand death which were related to the sweltering heat. In Britain, the number of heat-related death was much lower than the number of winter deaths. Even so, with temperatures reaching 38oC, the government issued advice to people on how to protect their health. This advice warned that it only took two consecituve days of high temperatures to have significant effects on people’s health. It said that people who became overheated and dehydrated ran the risk of irreversible damage to the body or even death. (Adapted from email@example.com)
1. What is the type of the text?
E. News item
2. What is the organization of the text?
D. Thesis-events-complication- resolution
E. Abstract- orientation-events- resolution
3. What is the communicative purpose of the text?
A. To persuade the readers to do something
B. To tell the readers about certain events
C. To inform the readers about the danger of cold
D. To share an amusing incident with the readers
E. To state a point of view or arguments about the problems caused by the weather
4. The text mainly discussed about___ .
A. the effects of cold weather
B. cold weather causes many illnesses
C. people died due to the cold weather
D. the problems arouse during cold weather time
E. the Europeans against the cold weather
5. From the text above we can infer that the number of people died due to the weather in Europe is___ than that of in the France. A. lower
C. the same
6. “Every year thousands of people die, due to wheather related problems” From the sentence above we can conclude that___
A. weather can spread illnesses
B. it’s better to avoid the weather
C. many people died because of the weather
D. we have to be careful with the weather
E. winter and summer are dangerous weather
Number 7 – 8
|“If you’re finding it too hot , take my advice and have lots of cold | |showers. And remember, only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the | |midday sun!” said the British people. |
7. The statement above give us a/an ___ .
8. From the statement above, we may conclude that to against the hot weather ___ . A. we may go out in the midday sun
B. we should have lots of cold showers
C. we shouldn’t go out with a crazy...