The following document provides sample items for each knowledge subtest of the ASTB. The sample items are not meant to provide an exhaustive list of the types of questions that will be found in the test. Instead, these questions are meant to familiarize examinees with the format and content of questions found within each section. Item difficulty ratings are provided for each question where applicable, and can be used to gauge how hard a given question is in comparison to similar types of questions typically found on the ASTB. Difficulty ratings range from ‘Very Easy’ to ‘Very Difficult.’ All answers are provided at the end of the practice test.
Directions: Each question consists of a problem followed by four possible answer choices. For each question, determine the answer choice that best answers the question. 1. Difficult
2 2 [( 4 6 0 )(5 30 )] = | 6 | [ ( 2)]
(A) (B) (C) (D) -5 10 20 -20
2. Intermediate 12 ½ X 1/5 = ? (A) (B) (C) (D) 3. Easy If the hypotenuse of a right triangle is 5 inches long and one of the sides is 4 inches long, how long is the remaining side? (A) (B) (C) (D) 2 inches 3 inches 4 inches 9 inches 2½ 4 5¼ 6
4. Intermediate If (a+1)(a-1) = 3, then a² = (A) (B) (C) (D)
5. Very Difficult Which statement is equivalent to 2 + 2logx –
3 log y? 2
(A) (B) (C) (D)
log (4x /
3 y) 2
log (x4/y3/2) log (100x2/y3/2) 2log(x2/y3/2)
(A) (B) (C) (D)
1/64 17/256 5/16 3/4
7. Intermediate A basketball player averages 21 points per game for the first 8 games of the season. If he is held scoreless in the next two games, how many average points per game must he score in his final 6 games in order to complete the season with an overall average of 21 points per game? (A) (B) (C) (D) 21 28 32 42
8. Very Easy If n is a positive even integer, which of the following must also be an even integer? (A) (B) (C) (D) 3n - 2 4n + 1 5n + 5 6n – 1
9. Intermediate A coin purse contains coins with values of 1 cent, 5 cents, 10 cents, 25 cents, and 50 cents. Using each coin at least once, what is the minimum number of coins required to equal the highest possible total less than $2? (A) (B) (C) (D) 10 11 12 13
10. Difficult Assume the probability of having a boy is 50% and a girl is 50%. If a family has four children, what is the probability the family has at least two girls?
(A) (B) (C) (D)
5 16 1 2 5 8 11 16
11. Intermediate If you flip a coin three times, what is the probability of getting three tails in a row? (A) (B) (C) (D) .0625 .10 .125 .333
12. Easy A man is paddling a canoe upstream. Assuming he can paddle at 6 miles per hour and the stream is flowing at a rate of 3 miles per hour, after one hour of paddling, how many miles will he have traveled? (A) (B) (C) (D) 2 3 12 18
Directions: Each item consists of a passage which you should assume to be true followed by four possible answer choices. For each item, select the choice that can be inferred only from the passage itself. Some or all of the choices following the passage may be true and reasonable, but only one of them can be derived solely from the information in the passage. 1. Intermediate A storm must pass through different stages before becoming a hurricane. The onset of this process occurs when low pressure air spins inward cyclonically to form the eye of the building storm. During the intermediate stages of development, the storm is first referred to as a tropical depression, later as a tropical storm before increasing in intensity to become a hurricane. (A) (B) (C) (D) During the tropical depression stage of hurricane development, the eye is formed by winds moving in a clockwise direction. A hurricane is the most violent of all natural phenomena because the eye of the storm is composed of cyclonic air movement. Tropical storms do not contain eyes because they develop from high pressure air systems. Cyclonic air movement plays a central role in the creation of hurricane force...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document