* 1984 : The red sash of the Junior Anti-Sex League
Now : The red ribbon of the Anti-Aids celibacy league
* 1984 : Telescreens in all public and private places, so the populace could be watched to prevent thoughtcrime.
Now : Surveillance cameras in most buildings (operated by businesses), and in some public streets (operated by police) to prevent crime. Although most of these cameras are operated by private businesses instead of our intrusive government, the end result is the same.
* 1984 : Helicopters silently watch over the masses to keep people from committing thoughtcrime, by planting the fear of "always being watched"
Now : Helicopters silently watch over our highways to keep people from breaking traffic laws, by planting the fear of "always being watched"
* 1984 : Songs are created by machines. This is done to make sure nobody can take credit for songs, or write songs not in line with Ingsoc.
Now : Songs are created by synthesizers. Nobody can realistically take credit for their own songs because most songs are re-mixes or a collage of dubs from other people's music. Pg. 46, line 7
* 1984 : Telescreen is full of confessions from "Thought criminals". They confessed to hatred of the government, crimes of all kinds, perversions of all kinds.
Now : Daytime talk shows are full of white trash who enjoy sharing tales of their pathetic existence with the whole world.
* "It was terribly dangerous to let your thoughts wander when you were in any public place or within range of a telescreen. The smallest thing could give you away. A nervous tic, an unconscious look of anxiety, a habit of muttering to yourself--anything that carried with it the suggestion of abnormality, of having something to hide. In any case, to wear an improper expression on your face...; was itself a punishable offense. There was even a word for it in Newspeak: facecrime..." pg. 65, line- 15
* There were no constitutional rights practiced. The... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2012, 04). 1984 Harkness Table. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 04, 2012, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/1984-Harkness-Table-976523.html
"1984 Harkness Table" StudyMode.com. 04 2012. 2012. 04 2012 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/1984-Harkness-Table-976523.html>.
- MLA 7
"1984 Harkness Table." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 04 2012. Web. 04 2012. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/1984-Harkness-Table-976523.html>.
"1984 Harkness Table." StudyMode.com. 04, 2012. Accessed 04, 2012. http://www.studymode.com/essays/1984-Harkness-Table-976523.html.