Go to the following website for completion:
http://www.mhhe.com/biosci/genbio/virtual_labs/BL_10/BL_10.html Name _______________
Title: Plant Transpiration
Question: What factor affects the transpiration rate in plants?
| With Fan
| With Heater
| With Lamp
1. Describe the process of transpiration in vascular plants. -Transpiration occur when water is lost through the leaves of plants, at the same time water is being absorbed and pulled up the plants roots to be replenished.
2. Describe any experimental controls used in the Investigation. -The environmental controls used in this lab were heat, wind and light (sun).
3. What environmental factors that you tested increased the rate of transpiration? Was the rate of transpiration increased for all plants tested? -Wind and heat were the factors that consistently increased the rate of transpiration. This was shown to happen in all of the plants.
4. Did any of the environmental factors (heat, light, or wind) increase the transpiration rate more than the others? Why? -Wind and heat increased the transpiration rates the most. I think this is because the wind is blowing the moisture away at a higher rate than if the plant was just sitting in the sun, causing it to transpire more. Transpiration occurs at higher levels with heat because of evaporation.
5. Which species of plants that you tested had the highest transpiration rates? Why do you think different species of plants transpire at different rates? -The plants with the larger leaves (zebra plant, weeping fig) the more transpiration. -I also think the location and the...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document