• Island is crescent shaped
• Always 200 miles wide but the tapers at the ends in to perfect half circles
• Interior side of the island is like a giant harbour
• Mouth of the harbour is full of rocks and shoals, making it incredibly dangerous
• Only the utopians know the way into the harbour, this prevents invasion
• Was once a peninsula but Uptos dug a channel and turned it in to an island
• There are fifty four big towns, all identical
• The towns are no more than a day’s walk from each other
• Aircastle is the capital
• At regular intervals are large houses for farming
• Everyone farms for a period of 2 years
• The grand plans of the towns are square
• The towns are surrounded by a high wall and then an empty moat
• Houses are separated by twenty-foot carriageway
• Behind the houses are large gardens
• Anyone can enter the houses, there are no locks
• Houses are swapped every ten years
• Houses are three storeys, made of hard stone
• The roofs are raised to the horizontal with concrete
• They use glass for the windows.
Social relations/arrangements in Utopia.
• Households are the smallest social unit - no less than ten adults and no more than sixteen. • Households are governed by the oldest male.
• Wives are subordinate to their husbands, children to their parents and younger people generally to their elders. • When a girl marries she joins her husband's household, whereas boys of each generation stay at home. • Each town consists of only six thousand households.Every town is divided into four districts of equal size. Each with its own shopping centre in the middle. • Everyone in the town assembles at lunch and dinner in the dining-hall. Children under five eat in the nursery. • The children that aren't old enough to be married, wait at the dining-hall table. • The high or centre table is the place of honour, where the Styward or District Commander sits with his wife and two of the oldest residents. • The seating is always arranged in groups of four. Around the hall from eldest to youngest, so the eldest in the community get served first and the best food.
• The population is divided into groups of 30 households, each of which elects an official called a Styward every year • Styward is the old Utopian title, the modern one being District Controller. For every 10 Stywards and the households they represent there is a Bencheater or Senior District Controller • Each town has 200 Stywards who are responsible for electing the mayor, done by a secret ballot • The Mayor remains in office for life, unless he is suspected of wanting to establish dictatorship • Every 3 days the Bencheaters have a meeting with the Mayor at which they discuss public affairs and settle any disputes
Utopian's attitude towards gold and silver:
- Gold and silver are kept locked away in case of need for war, hence they are devalued so the public won't want them. - Gold and silver are worthless to the people of Utopia and have no value. - Iron is more respected because it has uses that are significantly more useful to humans then gold and silver. - To devalue the gold and silver in the public's eyes a system was devised so that they were used for normal day objects, to immobilize slaves and adorn wrong-doers.
- Everyone farms irrespective of sex
- Everyone is taught agriculture in school
- Besides farming, everyone is taught a special trade of their own
- Everyone learns either dressmaking or tailoring
- Brought u to your parents occupation, though it is possible to transfer or to learn two trades
- Nobody is allowed to sit around doing nothing
- 6 hour working day, 3 in the morning, 2 hour lunch break, and another 3 in...