Name: Sydney Havens
When you are completely finished, send this assignment to your teacher.
Understanding Addictive Behavior: Thought Questions
Complete a portfolio of your responses to the thought questions in the unit, and submit it to your instructor for grading.
• What effect do you think the alcohol is having on Kelly's father in the scenario for this lesson?
• How could these effects allow him to think that it is helping him?
• How could it be making his mood and attitude worse?
• What characteristics exhibited by Kelly's father in the scenario indicate that he may be addicted to alcohol?
• Which characteristics in Dan's behavior, if any, indicate that he may have begun a pattern of alcohol addiction at the time of his death?
• Referring to the scenario at the beginning of this lesson, what steps might Kelly take to help her father recognize his problem and to avoid being an enabler?
• Who could she turn to for help?
• What types of past experiences may have misled Dan into believing that he could drive safely after drinking alcohol?
• Have you ever tried to convince a friend not to take the wheel after he/she had been drinking?
• How did he/she react?
• In your experience, do the trends indicated here reflect the true situation?
• Do you think that most students would answer these questions honestly if the survey questions allowed for their anonymity?
• If you think the facts are different than the graph indicates, do you think that drug use in these four areas is higher or lower?
• How does this information apply to Dan's decision in the scenario to drink "a couple of six-packs" before deciding to drive?
• What advice might you give Kelly about alcohol use?
• In the...