Mathematics is the language of all sciences. The subject at the secondary level has great importance in a progressive country like India as it develops various living skill. It is important to note that the subject itself has a separate identity in the life of a man. The challenges due to the tremendous growth in the population, globalization, pollution, competition between countries, natural disasters emphasise the need to develop the curriculum in Mathematics at the secondary level. Knowledge of the subject and skills acquired while learning Mathematics develop the ability to execute, manage, plan with precision. This could be effectively inculcated at the secondary level and is hence a decisive factor in according Mathematics an important place in the scheme of studies of secondary education in the state of Maharashtra. Mathematics at the primary stage of education develops the skill of quantification of experiences in learners. It helps to develop decision making which is applicable to real life situations in future. In addition, it helps enormously in the development of other disciplines which involves analysis, reasoning and qualification of ideas. The study of Mathematics has to be graded at different levels viz. primary, higher primary and secondary, higher secondary levels. At the primary stage the focus is on understanding of various concept and fundamentals and on developing the basic skills of calculation. At the secondary level the emphasis is on the capacity of students to apply mathematics in solving problems. Secondly a systematic study of Mathematics as a discipline has to be started and continued for the use of algebraic methods, arithmetical skills. A study of the different applications of mathematics in various fielda like science, geography, economics, social science etc. gives the student a comprehensive and global prespective. In the beginning of the 21st century, man has developed new disciplines like Information Technology, Genetic Engineering, Biotechnology, etc. on the basis of Mathematics. Thus a supplementary study of Mathematics is necessary to develop in students the skills essential for these new disciplines. We are confident that enriching these skills at the secondary level, will meet the basic and allied needs and fulfil the requirements in future. So, it has become necessary for every student to study and to develop a modicum of mathematical skills at the secondary level. Objectives
To enable the students to-
1. Acquire knowledge of mathematical terms, symbols, concepts, principles and processes, and the skill of presentation of proofs.
2. Understand the terms, symbols, concepts, principles, processes and proofs. 3. Develop the ability to apply mathematical knowledge to solve problems in real life situations. 4. Develop the analytical, logical thinking and problem solving abilities of students. 5. Develop expertise in basic algebraic and arithmetical skills. 6. Develop skills in drawing geometrical figures, diagrams, graphs, charts, etc. 7. Acquire sufficient mathematical tools and techniques necessary for daily and practical problems in life. .
8. Identify inter – relationship between different parts of the problems and draw logical conclusions. 9. Consolidate the mathematical knowledge and skills acquired at the secondary level. 10. Develop necessary skills to work with modern technological devices such as calculators and computers. 11. Develop awareness of the need for national unity, national integration, protection of the environment, and the observation of small family norms.
12. Develop reverence and respect towards great Mathematicians particularly towards Indian Mathematicians. Std. X - Algebra
1. Arithmetic Progression
* Introduction to Sequence
* Arithmetic progression ( A.P.) and Geometric Progression (G.P) * General terms of an A.P. and G.P.
* Sum of the first ‘n’ terms of an A.P....