I. Purpose for this investigation is to pin-point problems within the Roanoke branch of Phoenix Advertising which have led to the recent resignations of an art director and an account executive, increasing client complaints about quality of work, productivity and demoralization of employees within that branch. II. Site visit to Roanoke branch was performed in order to investigate issues. A. Preformed one-on-one employee interviews in order understand the reasons behind declining morale within the branch. 1. Conducted interviews with four out of six employees from the Accounts Management department. 2. Interviewed the general manager of Roanoke branch.
3. Had a group meeting with entire Creative Services department. B. Observed work environment to get a feel for how employees interact with one another and understand workflow within the office. C. Reviewed past year of business reports.
D. Reviewed policy and procedure manual.
1. Polices for new client accounts were reviewed and updated. 2. Overtime compensation for salaried employees was not addressed in the company’s policy manual. E. Interviewed clients, both satisfied and dissatisfied.
1. Conducted phone surveys with dissatisfied clients who had recently closed their accounts with Roanoke branch. 2. Mailed out satisfaction surveys to current client list of Roanoke branch. III. Main causes for problems plaguing the Roanoke branch are the unlimited number of new client projects, short staffing and thus overworked employees, lack of communication between departments, and declining employee job satisfaction. A. One-on-one interviews with employees revealed a branch wide dissatisfaction with workloads and uncompensated overtime hours. 1. The policy for accepting new projects does not take into account current workloads. 2. There is no policy for overtime compensation for salaried employees. 3. Understaffing and resignations within the branch have caused difficulties for remaining employees. B. Lack of communication between the Creative Services department and Accounts Management department has caused tension and an unwillingness to work together. 1. Creative work is being altered without consultation.
2. Location of Creative Services department in relation to Accounts Management department hinders good communication. C. Creative Services department is short staffed since the recent resignation of the head art director. D. Increasing client complaints are a direct result of poor quality of work.
IV. Shifting the focus of Roanoke branch to increasing employee morale, encouraging interdepartmental communication, and decreasing workloads of each department will resolve problems within the branch. A. Add a salaried employee overtime compensation plan to Phoenix Advertising’s policy manual to be implemented throughout the entire company. B. Revise policy for accepting new client projects.
1. Work should be assigned according to employee capacity. 2. Realistic project deadlines need to be set at the beginning of each client project. C. New employees should be hired immediately to fill the recently vacated positions within the branch. D. Location of Creative Services department should be changed in order to facilitate better communication with art directors. E. Require the use of interoffice email or text messaging to facilitate communications between departments.
DATE: May 2, 2012
TO: Gregory S. Forest
FROM: Angela Bennett
SUBJECT:Investigation and Recommended Solutions for Roanoke Branch
Investigate and pin-point problems within the Roanoke branch of Phoenix Advertising which have led to the recent resignations of an art director and an account executive, increasing client complaints, decreasing productivity and demoralization of employees within that branch.