General Purpose: To inform
Specific Purpose: To inform the audience about the history of beer, the basics of brewing, and you intoxication occurs. Thesis: Beer is one of the oldest beverages produced, it is created through a process called brewing in which key ingredients are added, and it can affect different parts of your body, causing intoxication.
A. Attention: When planning a BBQ, how many of you have beer somewhere on your shopping list? B. Relate: Beer, is the most widely consumed alcoholic beverage, and there is no doubt that it’s one of the most beloved of all man’s discoveries. C. Credibility: I enjoy drinking beer, therefore researched the topic. D. Preview: Brief history of beer, key ingredients in the brewing process, what happens to your body when you drink.
BODY OF SPEECH:
1. History: Beer is as old as civilization itself.
A. Ancient history
1. Ancient Sumerian’s; 4300 BC
2. Valued over money
3. (Ancient Encyclopedia of History) Bad batch = drowning B. FF to later history
1. 1200 AD; commercially established Germany, Austria, England 2. (Yuengling website) 1829 Yuengling founded; America’s oldest brewery 3. 1933, beer prohibition ends
1. (Brewers Association) 1,900 breweries in 2011
2. Revenue of $196 billion
3. (StatisticsBrain.com) 67 billion cans consumed; reach moon 20 times
So, now that you have a brief history on beer, I will discuss the key ingredients in the brewing process.
2. Key Ingredients: Malted Barley, Hops & Yeast all play a major role in the brewing process.
A. Malted Barley
1. Basic grain; cereal, bread, baked goods
2. Mashed into oatmeal-consistency
3. Sugar rich “Wort” drained off
1. Boiled with “Wort”
2. Varieties add flavors, aromas
3. Different times, creates different beers
1. Added to mixture; cools & ferments
2. Yeast converts...