* Covers the 1st 2 weeks of life – time needed for the newborn to adjust to his new environment outside the mother’s womb.
* Normal for babies to experience a small weight loss at this time because newborns are unwilling to eat during their 1st few days.
* A slight yellowing of the skin around on the 3rd day is natural – adjustment of his liver. It disappears as soon as the infant begins to eat normally.
* A baby needs to be put in an incubator if he weighs under 5 ½ pounds, to control the temperature of the environment (tube feeding).
* Sensitive to touch
* Finds delight & comfort in hearing the rhythm of the mother’s heartbeat.
* Holding close conveys warmth and comfort.
* An embrace creates a snug, secure world of the womb.
* Breast Feeding – best way to meet the nutritional needs of the child, and also the best time to satisfy his need to be touched & cuddled. It promotes a warm, intimate relationship between the mother and the child to promote the latter’s health and growth development. It is also considered as a unique physical and emotional closeness that establishes a very special, satisfying mutual bond between the mother and the child.
* Breast Milk – ideal food for the baby for it contains all the nutrients a normal child needs to develop and thrive. It contains Collostrum during the first few days upon giving birth. It is a yellowish fluid that is an important source of antibodies.
* 2 Periods of Infancy:
a. Partunate – birth up to the cutting and tying of the umbilical cord.
b. Neonate – from the cutting and tying of the umbilical cord to the end of second week.
* 5 Important Characteristics of Infancy:
a. Shortest of all developmental periods;
b. Time of radical adjustments;
c. A plateau in development;
d. A preview of later development; and
e. A hazardous period.
* 4 Major... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2012, 12). Infancy, Babyhood and Early Childhood. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 12, 2012, from http://www.studymode.com/course-notes/Infancy-Babyhood-And-Early-Childhood-1285682.html
"Infancy, Babyhood and Early Childhood" StudyMode.com. 12 2012. 2012. 12 2012 <http://www.studymode.com/course-notes/Infancy-Babyhood-And-Early-Childhood-1285682.html>.
- MLA 7
"Infancy, Babyhood and Early Childhood." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 12 2012. Web. 12 2012. <http://www.studymode.com/course-notes/Infancy-Babyhood-And-Early-Childhood-1285682.html>.
"Infancy, Babyhood and Early Childhood." StudyMode.com. 12, 2012. Accessed 12, 2012. http://www.studymode.com/course-notes/Infancy-Babyhood-And-Early-Childhood-1285682.html.